scholarwarrior

What the heck is it

This device (my avatar pic) was put up near my home on a utility pole. Is it a camera of some sort? Some other kind of sensor? Anybody know who makes it and for what purpose?

what area is this any chance of a post code so members can see it on google. obvously a road name that isnt your road for example.

This is in Stamford Connecticut but I checked Google maps and street view and these are too new and don't show up yet. I'll post more detailed photos in a bit.

Some red light cameras have CCTV looking domes with motion sensors inside the dome. I have also seen regular speed sensors in dmes like that on roads with a lot of commuter traffic. They report back to the State DOT to identify traffic issues, and in some cases they are used to adjust stoplight timing, but that is pretty rare.

That picture is WAY too small to do anything with. Post the full size version and we might be of more assistance.

So it's definitely a camera? Do you think it has a "fisheye" 360 view that allows it to see in multiple directions so it could control a whole intersection with one camera? Related question: if I can see the bottom of the camera from my front door, can it see me?

So it's definitely a camera? Do you think it has a "fisheye" 360 view that allows it to see in multiple directions so it could control a whole intersection with one camera? Related question: if I can see the bottom of the camera from my front door, can it see me?

No, no "definitely". And no, the fact that you can see it does not mean that it can see you.

It seems like a traffic camera. Maybe it sees who is using the parking area or the vehicles that pass by.