Sign in to follow this  
grandquads

12volt camera channel box and dvr for race car

I have a project on a racing vehicle I need help with. What I am trying to do is, watch parts and pieces while on track. Since I'm not driving I need to be able to record what the parts are doing and then play back. The area I'm working in is. Very short distance for focus (2"-3") and the cameras need to be small, maximum of 1/2" thick. I was thinking of a pinhole cameras from new egg. Also I need a dvr that could configure four cameras to one screen and also record about 30 minutes max. The system also needs to be in color and 12v power source. I'm camera and CCTV stupid so I don't know what cameras and boxes are compatible. A list from new egg or similar would be awesome. Thanks for the help and if it all works I can post a vid of the results.

I would use this DVR: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DSMD-6704-H-264-Mobile-4ch-vehicle-DVR-SD-Card-storage-HD1-realtime-video-audio-recording/581077684.html?s=p

and these cameras:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-3-CMOS-Colour-Camera-With-Infra-Red-Night-Vision-Small-Discreet-CCTV/1802194906.html

It is all Chinese low-end stuff, but I think it will suit your purposes quite well. The DVR also has GPS so you can map your place on the track to the video.

Thank you very much. I see the cameras are night vision as well. Will they still work ok in a heavily lighted environment? The parts are perfectly within my budget as well. Thank you if all works as planned I test components next week and will post a couple of vids within a few days of the test.

Yeah, you should not have any issues. This won't be a perfect HD image, but it should be adequate for your needs. I used to do something similar just to watch my tires during autocross. Here is my old car... man I miss this old thing:

246755_1.jpg

Yeah that was actually the last day I drove it... something broke and then I went to Saudi Arabia for work (I was in the Army). My wife sold it while I was gone because we were moving soon after my return and I did not want to deal with a trailer.

This is my new toy... not a racer, but still a ton of fun! It is a 1995 Audi S-6 with a full RS2 conversion.

246775_1.jpg

YOu may consider GoPro which is professional for most kind of sporting.

I think a GoPro is too thick for his mounting location, it would get in the way.