I'm a complete newb when it comes to installing security cameras. A bit tech savvy though. My brother in law is a small business owner, and he asked me to find a security camera system he can install in his business with at least 6 cameras and that has remote access via smart phone for around $300.

I found the 8 camera Q See QT228-8B5-5 on Amazon for $299. However, I am not familiar with Q See or the model.

Does anyone have experience with Q See and/or this particular model? What is your opinion? Would this system be a good fit for a small business?

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

The system you mention is not a good one. Not worth the effort installing that one. Consider this one-

http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QT5682-8E3-1-8-Channel-Surveillance-High-Resolution/dp/B00I3DOZHK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1400893337&sr=8-3&keywords=qsee

That will at least get you good images. I haven't used it so I can't say much, but you have to go with a minimum quality and the one you're looking at falls well below it. Q-see is fine, although RMA returns/exchanges can be tedious. Good luck.

Thank you for the input. Unfortunately, my brother in law is convinced he shouldn't spend more than $300 on a system. Perhaps I can find this model used/referb in that price range.

How about the QC3016-8B5-5? I can get it at TigerDirect for less than $350...is this a better model?

Garbage. Install garbage and when he gets robbed and has nothing to show for it, maybe then your brother in law will understand he shouldn't be convinced about something he knows nothing about. You can't cheap out with this. I have nothing more to say to a guy who doesn't get it. Sorry.

"Doesn't get it"?

You sound like a jerk. I build my own network servers, subwoofers, install all my own networking equipment and wiring...I understand the value of buying quality over saving money. Shoot, I got a 7.1 AVR HTiB set for under $400, couldn't stand the sound, sold it, and had to save up and buy my home theater system piece by piece, over several months, to the point where I even built the powered sub myself...

I'm just trying to do a favor for a family member that I owe big time, so he asked me to look into it for him, told me he couldn't spend more than around $300 or so, and that was it...he has a store that is only now getting an increase in customers, and shop lifting is starting to become a problem. So seriously, these models may be "crap", but one thing I've found out about "crap" level electronics is if you are careful and take care of them, a lot of times they'll function as designed and in some cases even last a long time. I think he's under the impression that even a modicum of security is a big enough of a deterrent (like cameras in visible areas, signs, etc) to make it worth while.

Anyway, if anyone else has any suggestions, or if any of you don't mind stepping down from your high horse and helping a stupid pleb like me to "get it", then please reply.

LOL- I didn't mean YOU don't get it. Your brother in law doesn't get it. Sorry for the confusion. You want to know why no one else has responded to this age old question but me? Because, as you must know yourself, it gets very tiring trying to make suggestions when someone is 'convinced' they can just go the cheap route. Most simply ignore such foolishness here. If it weren't for me trying to help with a suggestion, this tread would have sunk to the bottom of the ocean. So I figured even though it's another 'I need a six camera system for 300 dollars' scenario, I'd try to offer help. And my suggestion is still the cheap route. It's just better cheap than the others.

I've done stuff for family. It can be a nightmare. It's a no win situation really. When the cheap garbage dies, it's your fault. When they have a crisis and the footage is so terrible you can't see anything useful, it's your fault. They always want a simple cheap system just to keep an eye on things and for a deterrent...until there's a crisis and then they hit you with 'why the heck didn't this work- you suggested this thing.' And let me guess- you'll be either installing it or helping to do so right? I made a suggestion above. That's a better place to start at merely 200 dollars more. If nothing in the place of business is worth anything, install garbage. Better yet, install cheap fake cameras if all he wants is a deterrent factor. Or certainly install one of garbage systems you mentioned already. They'll give you a picture. The colors will be skewed in the daytime and so noisy at night you won't see anything of value. Details will be hard to come by for anything more than very close up shots- not something you really get for 3.6 lenses. I'm not being mean- I learned from those mistakes too. All it amounts to is wasted time, money, and effort when you could have spent a bit more and done it right from the start.

So, good luck to you.

OK thanks for your help, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

So then the things I need to pay attention to are:

Resolution: 480 seems to be the standard for the "cheap crap"...so anything above is obviously better right?

Image Processing: You mention color is off. What kind of image sensor do these cheap ones usually use? Is there a way to calibrate the cheap ones? Can you adjust for bad night shots, like with a camera (zoom, shutter speed, ISO, F stop,etc...) What size sensor would you consider the minimum for good night vision?

Casing: Does it matter? Plastic, alloy, aluminum?

Camera Motors: Any info on this would be good.

Manufacturing quality: What should I avoid?

If what you are saying is true, then if something happened, we would be dealing with an alarming lack of detail on the footage, and proper identification of a wrongdoer would be impossible? Even with proper installation and placement?

I take it then, the cameras are the most crucial piece, as it appears the DVRs can be pretty run-of-the-mill. So it would really only make sense, if the goal is to actually protect his store, for my brother-in-law to save up a bit more and then get good cameras first, DVR second?

I'm going on no sleep so maybe someone else can tackle your break out questions. In short, such a business as you have that has already experienced theft needs a good system in the event he needs to prosecute. Analog is simply not the way to begin. It's more than just the cameras. More than just the recorder. It's everything combined. You can't tweak garbage to make it work better. You can't polish a turd with this equipment. It's used in the hopes of supporting you with positive identification of individuals and their actions. I would suggest megapixel gear but the budget is only there for a single camera. Many would say, including me, to have a single quality camera than a whole system of garbage. At your budget, HD-CVI is a great alternative and really the best way to go for a whole affordable system that will provide HD quality that can be installed easily, and he can be up and running in no time. Simply put, forget the other garbage and at least start at 720p.