HI, I have a Floureon H.264 DVR, the instructins say it supports WIFI instead of using LAN, but is it fussy with what WIFI dongle you use ? I bought a generic 300Mbps 802.11N USB adapter, used them before on the PC with Linux and work fine but no idea how to get the unit to tell me if it works with this adapter or not. Any help appreciated.

great idea numb nuts, but I did make a breakthrough and the unit did display saying no adaptor found so assumed it didn't like the dongle, so I found an old d-link one, the unit accepted that said so, I then managed to get the unit linked wirelessly to the router. this is only in testing stage before final install the whole lot in the loft. the instructions for this section are not mentioned in the manual, and the rest is (cough)

I have to admit, I haven't ever done this as I either make my own cables or use a homeplug, but I am pleased for you that you made some progress.

The wifi connections that I have heard about have all been troublesome but then trouble is my bisiness, nobody ever calls me when things are working well....! But our PVs and networks all use WiFi so there is no reason at all that a DVR (which is just another computer)

shouldn't work well with wifi.

I hope you report your experiences so we can all learn from your success!

I installed the system yesterday with two cameras, fixed a power supply up in the loft, and got the WiFi between the DVR and my router working, can view all on a PC now. didn't want to run a 30 ft cat 5 cable through two rooms, just taking the easy option. but does look like the units are fussy what WiFi dongle they'll work with and no list of tested compatible models. I'll go check on the model of my dongle and post it here later. now wondering if a wireless camera in the house could be connected back to the unit ?

I understand about not wanting too run a cable through the house, as in my own installation I had exactly the same feeling.

I currently use and have and been using successfully a 500mbps home Plug by Netgear. I also use Zyxel on client's homes

and businesses where the same situation exists.

I suspect you mean the DVR is in the loft and not the cameras.

The wireless cameras will require a sender and a receiver. I suggest the receivers are located near the eaves of he loft so they have the shortest distance to the cameras that would be outdoors, indoors, well I have never used wireless indoors yet. I can generally fish cablet through floor spaces always remembering that joists run the opposite way to floorboards or usually across the shortest distance across the room. Obviously its a different picture with concrete beam floors although these do sometimes have a 1 inch void between the ceiling finish and the concrete blocks etc I do not recommend attempting this to a DIYer., as a professional I still encounter ceilings that defeat me occasionally. A certain element of luck is also helpful. I don't recommend this as there are too many pitfalls and potential for damage. A tip is you must try is that I remove the ceiling rose first to asses the viability of a cable rout through the ceiling. Better still if there are recessed spotlights there must be space to run cables.

247966_1.1

yes the DVR is in the loft, easiest to get the external camera cables back to and more secure location. I'll research internal wireless cameras but fishing cables isn't too bad, done wiring on the house and being a builder I know all about the different types of floor and yet you still get the of surprise. when I get time I'll write a proper new post on the setting up of the DVR I have and wireless connection to the router.

How do they generally fix the ceiling plasterboard (sheetrock to our American friends) to the underside of the beam and brlok floor?

Do they fix battens in line with the beams or across the beams? I know where two dwellings are separated by a floor it's

likely to be a beam and block (recent build) and a conversion it's less likely? Right Wrong?