jimmywheelo

Unbranded 8ch DVR system and HDD

Hi

I have had cause to retrieve the whole contents from an unbranded H264 8ch DVR system. There is literally nothing to assist identifying any brand name. The HDD was a 1TB sata disk.

I removed the HDD and made an image copy using Paragon 2014. I then recovered this image onto another 1Tb disk. The file structure is FAT32 and there is also a 5bg Linux Ext 3 (I presume this is where the DVR o/s is stored) partition.

The question is;

Is this Linux o/s likely to be generic for these type of unbranded DVRs?

I'm looking at getting another generic system to view the CCTV on away from the site where the system is and just want to make sure I don't buy something that doesn't work. Any tips/pitfalls on this?

I had initially intended to view the files on my PC but was gob smacked to learn this cannot be done. I need to (if necessary) have all 30 days of footage available for viewing.

Also when recovering the image in Paragon - I got this msg “If you have Linux installed, please reinit its boot loader”

I don't understand what this means. Will paragon have made changes to the boot loader of this hdd?

Does this mean that without some necessary intervention the HDD will not work in the new DVR?

Many thanks for any advice!

Jamie