Sign in to follow this  
floridagatormike

Dahua 16ch NVR advice

I am putting a new security system in my house. I would like 16ch 1080p and after doing some research, I saw some recommendations for this setup:

NVR5216-P 16 Channel 1080p+ 5 Megapixel 1U NVR POE

HFW2100 1.3 Megapixel 720p Bullet IP Camera

HDB3200C 2.0 Megapixel 1080p Mini Dome IP Camera

My questions are:

1. Does this look like a reliable, reasonably-priced setup to use in my house?

2. If not, does anyone have any other suggestions?

3. I notice that the number of NVR channels does not always equal the number of POE ports. Does this mean I can put multiple cameras on a single port? Is there some kind of splitter I would need?

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

It pains me greatly to help a gator fan... you have no idea (FSU!!!).

I generally do not use the POE source from an NVR, I have had issues in the past with reliability so now I just bypass them by default. I usually get my own POE switch or POE mid-span depending on the situation and use that as the power source so that all the NVR has to do is process the data. A decent 8 port POE switch is typically in the $150-200 range, and the brands are all over the place but Netgear, D-Link, Zyxel, and TP-Link are typically worth the loot. Oh I forgot about Cisco, but in all cases make sure you are buying one with a full 8 ports of POE, there are lots of cases where they will have 4 with POE and 4 standard ports.

You also do NOT need to worry about getting a gigabit switch unless you get over 8 cameras.