Sign in to follow this  
nj2012

System for 2 IP cameras 2 megapixel each.

Hello, I'm installing new IP cameras and want to know whats the best system for my needs?

Total storage I will need will be about 2tb. running 2 cameras. maybe I will increase it to 3 cameras in the future.

Here is my situation.

My father (for some reason) love starring at the screen when the cameras are on. right now its CCTV system so I just put the dvr in his room and connect a screen to it.

But now that I'm switching to IP cameras. Is it just better to build a desktop system with WD Red 2tb drive and have it record there and just place it in his room and connect a monitor to it?

Or should I get a NAS system and put him a laptop to view the cameras from?

I'm thinking about just going with the desktop setup since it will only be 1 device running and will save me money on electricity? is that accurate? or does desktop consume more power than a laptop and NAS combined?

Or what other options do I have?

Sorry I'm a newb.

Wow, 1TB per camera, now I feel inadequate as I have 5 per 1TB drive. Get a cheap 4 channel NVR, typically the same as the camera vendor. It will use way less electricity than a PC and will likely have the PoE switch built in. It will plug into the TV and he can watch it by switching to that HDMI on the TV. Get a wireless USB mouse and he can control it like a remote. You can also get a tablet for him, so when he goes to the can, he can watch the cameras using an IOS or Android app. Figure you can find a 4 channel NVR for $299ish, put 2 hard drives in it, a 2TB for now, another 2TB when you add 2 more cameras.

please find me that NVR. I looked everywhere either some chinese one or really expense 700+ nvr's. my cameras are made by Dahua.