On the strength of positive reviews, I just ordered an ACTi KCM-5611 IP cam. The camera acquires an IP address via DHCP, and I can capture video from it, but I am unable to log on to the camera's web server, and the "IP Utility" software that ACTi provides doesn't even start up correctly.

When I go to the camera's web server, I get an empty page:

249046_1.jpg

The IP Utility fails with this error dialog:

249046_2.jpg

After dismissing that, it hangs forever on this screen:

249046_3.jpg

The camera is never detected.

There is an SSH server on the camera, but it doesn't recognize the default Admin credentials. Anyone know what the login is for SSH?

So far I'm not real impressed with ACTi... I own about a dozen IP cameras from a bunch of different manufacturers, and this one is giving me the most trouble by far.

On the strength of positive reviews, I just ordered an ACTi KCM-5611 IP cam. The camera acquires an IP address via DHCP, and I can capture video from it, but I am unable to log on to the camera's web server, and the "IP Utility" software that ACTi provides doesn't even start up correctly.

When I go to the camera's web server, I get an empty page:

249046_1.jpg

The IP Utility fails with this error dialog:

249046_2.jpg

After dismissing that, it hangs forever on this screen:

249046_3.jpg

The camera is never detected.

There is an SSH server on the camera, but it doesn't recognize the default Admin credentials. Anyone know what the login is for SSH?

So far I'm not real impressed with ACTi... I own about a dozen IP cameras from a bunch of different manufacturers, and this one is giving me the most trouble by far.

Have you tried opening the url in a different browser to see if it gives the option to just download the file and save it locally?

First off try using Internet Explorer and make sure in Internet Explorer the page is added to compatibility settings. This depends on the version of IE you are using. As soon as you get on, make sure to update the firmware.

Regarding browsers, I tried Internet Exploder, Chrome, and Firefox (all latest versions) under Windows. Tried running them "As Administrator" and in "XP Compatibility Mode" with no success.

I tried Firefox from a Linux machine.

I tried Firefox, and Chrome on my Android tablet. I even tried the browser on my Kindle Fire. All result in the same empty web page.

My guess is the web pages need some sort of ActiveX control in order to function, and that control is not able to run. The IP Utility appears to require the same ActiveX control, so if you can't run the ActiveX control you have no recourse. Really annoying and lame! All those people who run OSes other than Windows (MacOS, Linux) are SOL right from the git-go.

I also discovered that the SSH login wants a lower-case 'a' in the username (i.e. "admin" not "Admin" as the documentation suggests), but once you're logged in it simply hangs forever - alas, no help there.

I've come to appreciate my Axis cams a lot more in recent weeks. Axis might cost more, but that extra money allows you to avoid a LOT of hassle.

After much futzing with the settings in Internet Exploder (which I don't ordinarily use) I was finally able to configure the camera. For the benefit of any future explorers who are trying to resolve similar issues, I basically enabled anything I could find related to running ActiveX controls and anything related to "compatibility" modes. Of course, doing this leaves your computer open to all sorts of security exploits, so be sure to restore the original settings prior to surfing the Internet.

If anyone from ACTi is reading this and gives a dang, you really need to stop drinking the Microsoft Kool-Aid and come up with a more portable way for users to configure your cameras. This may come as a shock to you, but not everyone runs Windows, and not everyone wants to use Internet Explorer. I realize you feel the marketing need to make your embedded web pages look nice and pretty, but there are better ways to accomplish this - just look at Axis, HikVision, Dahua, or just about any of your other competitors to see how this can be done without any of that ActiveX bull****. Your current method is not only non-portable, but when it fails to work it gives absolutely no indication as to why it's not working, which is frustrating your customers to the point of madness.

Configuration issues aside, this seems like a really nice camera; however, I'm definitely going to have to think long and hard before purchasing another ACTi product.

Thanks for the post and answers...I was about 5 mins from taking the camera down to bench test it!!! I was having the exact same problem and what Moe3615 suggested worked for me with Internet Explorer version 11.0.9.

The solution for me was to click on the gear icon in the upper right-hand of IE and select "Compatibility View settings". A popup will be displayed that allows you to add the IP address. Click the Add button and the full working page should be displayed.

This has never happened to me with the KCM-5611 so I'm guessing IE was updated. ACTi needs to release a fix for this in the next firmware.

FWIW this does not happen with any of the E* series cameras. They can be configured in Chrome and IE (I haven't tried Firefox).

Thanks for the post and answers...I was about 5 mins from taking the camera down to bench test it!!! I was having the exact same problem and what Moe3615 suggested worked for me with Internet Explorer version 11.0.9.

The solution for me was to click on the gear icon in the upper right-hand of IE and select "Compatibility View settings". A popup will be displayed that allows you to add the IP address. Click the Add button and the full working page should be displayed.

This has never happened to me with the KCM-5611 so I'm guessing IE was updated. ACTi needs to release a fix for this in the next firmware.

FWIW this does not happen with any of the E* series cameras. They can be configured in Chrome and IE (I haven't tried Firefox).

It's the same problem with Axis cameras. Even with EI in compatibility mode it only works 98%. Microsoft is trying to get rid of ActiveX and it's creating multiple problems for hardware that depends on it. I can just assume Axis is currently re-writing their firmware/software to work without ActiveX - what else can they do? At least I understand what's going on. Can you imagine all the poor fools out there who are pulling their hair out and ready to return the equipment? Overall I really love Microsoft products, but c'mon already. Fire the idiots doing this!