I'm looking into switching cameras from ACTi to Hikvision. However Hikvision documentation is non existent.

Now I turn to this forum hoping to clarify a few things

1) Should I be concerned about the lack of documentation?

2) Has anyone here used both companies? How was your experience switching?

I like the plug and play NVR's with PoE built in, any first hand experience with this?

Thanks

What kind of documentation do you need? Most can be found on their Europe portal.

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/

Built-in POE is OK, but hard to log into each camera to customize the settings. its one less part to worry about. and if you get it from a reliable vendor, it should have a 3 year warranty as well. Also less flexibility with Home-run vs external switches which can have more distance with POE and less cables to run.

Nice, thanks for the documentation link, I have to check it out. If the Cameras are true plug and play, why would I need to logon to router to configure remotely? Can't control it all from the NVR? Have you ever installed ACTi? I would love to know how they compare. I've installed over 400 Acti Cameras and curious about the differences I will encounter.

Right now things like Firmware upgrade for cameras can only be done if you log in directly. Also many specific functions of the camera can only be triggered at the camera side

The following functions are missing from NVR:

formatting SD card to have edge storage

WDR/noise reduction

Smart IR

Corridor mode/rotate

having the IR off but in night mode.

Alarm in/out

audio level

mic level/line in selection

(probably many more that aren't listed)

Sorry I never used Acti before...I work for a Hikvision OEM so I know their stuff pretty well.

Nice, thanks for the documentation link, I have to check it out. If the Cameras are true plug and play, why would I need to logon to router to configure remotely? Can't control it all from the NVR? Have you ever installed ACTi? I would love to know how they compare. I've installed over 400 Acti Cameras and curious about the differences I will encounter.

you cant control the advanced features from NVR.

Though the newer version of the firmware for Hikvision PoE NVR will allow you to access the camera directly as well.

ACTi cameras are ok, but NVR solution is weak.

Software is weak compare to Hikvision.

And their camera line lack cost effective models ($100-$200)

Cost and performance wise, ACTi is just not there.

Sorry I never used Acti before...I work for a Hikvision OEM so I know their stuff pretty well.

Okay, I'm pretty convinced but I have one big issue and I hope I can pick your brain for a bit... Hikvision seems to have such a lack of documentation its rather frustrating. For example, acti has a product selector where I put in all the things I need and it spits out the exact model of camera that I need. (http://www2.acti.com/corpweb/Tools/ProductSelector/index.aspx?spec=Cameras). Does Hikvision have such a feature?

For example, how would I find the following camera.

3MP Dome with Either built audio line in or Mic in, PoE, that can be mounted on a wall or ceiling, indoor/outdoor, Fixed Lens, Day/night adaptive IR LED, with a Wide Angle Lens and perhaps WDR...

Also, how is the mobile app and browser interface for live view and playback?

Thanks for all your help.

Okay, I'm pretty convinced but I have one big issue and I hope I can pick your brain for a bit... Hikvision seems to have such a lack of documentation its rather frustrating. For example, acti has a product selector where I put in all the things I need and it spits out the exact model of camera that I need. (http://www2.acti.com/corpweb/Tools/ProductSelector/index.aspx?spec=Cameras). Does Hikvision have such a feature?

For example, how would I find the following camera.

3MP Dome with Either built audio line in or Mic in, PoE, that can be mounted on a wall or ceiling, indoor/outdoor, Fixed Lens, Day/night adaptive IR LED, with a Wide Angle Lens and perhaps WDR...

Also, how is the mobile app and browser interface for live view and playback?

Thanks for all your help.

DS-2CD2732F-IS varifocal

DS-2CD2532F-IS fixed lens with IR and audio, but IR range is limited. 2.8mm lens available.

most fixed lens don't have audio in. 2532 is a rare case

Mobile app, download iVMS4500 from app store

or iVMS4500 HD from app store for your tablet.

And try it for yourself.

Browser Interface.

Buy a few samples and try it out?

or call Hikvision number on their website to get public demo unit's IP address to play around with.

noname do you work for Hikvision too? lol

There's not too much choices in Hikvision cameras ...i don't think it'll get to the point where it needs a product selector.

one client of mine literally only use 10% 4.0mm and 90% 2.8mm of the dome version 3 MP camera. he said it is all he needs.

look for the model with (S) for audio/alarm.

almost all of them are IP66 so they can be used indoor and out, except box cameras.

Hikvision as well as us have live online demo if you want to try.

ACTi cameras are ok, but NVR solution is weak.

Software is weak compare to Hikvision.

And their camera line lack cost effective models ($100-$200)

Cost and performance wise, ACTi is just not there.

Wow, you must work for Hikvision so I'll take on the ACTi side. iVMS4200 from Hikvision is not in the same league as ACTi NVR 3.0 and it also supports non-ACTi cameras. Software is ACTi's strong point with lots of application they are providing for free including LPR. What was the Hikvision solution for LPR, oops, they don't have one.

As for price, yes, you have to pay more for a product with a U.S. warranty, service and support and to some it's worth it, to some it's not. You start getting into the more serious Hikvision USA branded cameras from with their USA support and there's not that much of a difference in price at the wholesale level, for a full size vandal dome, maybe 25% more. It's like cars. Telling me you can get a Kia for $20K that can do everything a Honda can do that costs $25K may be a truth, ergo, cost & performance wise, Honda is not there.

noname do you work for Hikvision too? lol

There's not too much choices in Hikvision cameras ...i don't think it'll get to the point where it needs a product selector.

one client of mine literally only use 10% 4.0mm and 90% 2.8mm of the dome version 3 MP camera. he said it is all he needs.

look for the model with (S) for audio/alarm.

almost all of them are IP66 so they can be used indoor and out, except box cameras.

Hikvision as well as us have live online demo if you want to try.

naw, I am just familiar with the manufacturers from oversea.

Hikvision actually has a lot of SKUs, thousands, just that they choose the most common ones to sell in the American market.