JohnnyBeGood

So what kind of POE switch are you guys using?

Howdy all,

I'm planning on having maximum of 3 outdoor cameras and was wondering what everyone is using for their POE switch? Are there any requirements as far as voltage or anything else?

I have regular 8 port gigabit switch that is used for my internal network but no POE on it. It is interesting that most of good brands are around $100 mark.

TIA

I've been using ZyXel, personally I have 2 of the es2108pwr (8 poe ports + 1 gige uplink, managed switch) and 1 of their lower cost es1100-8p (4 poe ports, 4 regular ports, unmanaged). I like them because most poe switches have power budgets, so say they have 30W aggregate total power budget for 4 ports but claim 15.4w per port but you can only use 2 if you had a camera that was 15.4W where the ZyXel are 15.4W on all ports. Also, they run off 110V, so you plug it straight into an outlet while some use a power brick and I like the cleaner look without a power brick. I believe they come with lifetime warranties and are based in So Cal.

For higher end, we've use Netgear Prosafe PoE switches, but they are pricier and actually had a 24 port one fail recently. They replaced it, but a PITA, also had one of their 8 port switches lose PoE on one port. Also had a Cisco 8 port poe gige switch that started acting funky, going to try and reset it to factory, maybe get newer firmware, but I expected more from Cisco. I had a Trendnet 4 poe port model, but because of the power budget, I was having trouble at night when the IR LED's came on and overwhelmed the switch, gave that one away. So much for dealing with popular name brands.

That's not a switch, so then you need all the patch cables + extra outlet + a switch, a lot of work and wiring mess to save a few bucks.

That's not a switch,
I have regular 8 port gigabit switch that is used for my internal network but no POE on it.

Note he already has a switch.

so then you need all the patch cables + extra outlet + a switch, a lot of work and wiring mess to save a few bucks.

He needs 1 outlet to plug the POE into (instead of another switch) and 3 patch cables after the POE into his switch.

If he's buying cables & not making his own that will run all of $2.31* US making his cost a little over $50 instead of over $150 for an overpriced device that he doesn't need.

* http://www.monoprice.com/Search?cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023203&keyword=Cat%206%20patch

I've been using ZyXel, personally I have 2 of the es2108pwr (8 poe ports + 1 gige uplink, managed switch) and 1 of their lower cost es1100-8p (4 poe ports, 4 regular ports, unmanaged). I like them because most poe switches have power budgets, so say they have 30W aggregate total power budget for 4 ports but claim 15.4w per port but you can only use 2 if you had a camera that was 15.4W where the ZyXel are 15.4W on all ports. Also, they run off 110V, so you plug it straight into an outlet while some use a power brick and I like the cleaner look without a power brick. I believe they come with lifetime warranties and are based in So Cal.

For higher end, we've use Netgear Prosafe PoE switches, but they are pricier and actually had a 24 port one fail recently. They replaced it, but a PITA, also had one of their 8 port switches lose PoE on one port. Also had a Cisco 8 port poe gige switch that started acting funky, going to try and reset it to factory, maybe get newer firmware, but I expected more from Cisco. I had a Trendnet 4 poe port model, but because of the power budget, I was having trouble at night when the IR LED's came on and overwhelmed the switch, gave that one away. So much for dealing with popular name brands.

Thanks guys for your replies!

ZyXEL ES1100-8P http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181163 $64.99 is something I would like to get although its little bit out of my budget.

I came across this one also TP-LINK TL-SF1008P http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704080 $41.99 that promises Up to 15.4W for each PoE port but one of the comments says:

Cons: Fried half my network equipment when I daisy chained it off of my main PoE switch. You know, hooking switches up to other switches like you normally do? yeah, this thing FRIED the other switches, and PoE, and an expensive network appliance when we plugged it in. TOTAL NIGHTMARE!!!!! RUINED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF EQUIPMENT!!!!

I'm guessing that's because they connected POE port to other switch and that fired it? He should've connected it to one of other 4 ports that do not have POE.

Both are based out of USA and have branch offices in North America.

WS-POE-8-802.3af would create more wires and I'm already getting buried

See how you got suckered by misleading advertising. The switch says 53 watts total power, so do the math, 53/4 is not 15.4W, hmm. It will be fine though as that's about 11W at the camera and most are about 7W at night.

See how you got suckered by misleading advertising. The switch says 53 watts total power, so do the math, 53/4 is not 15.4W, hmm. It will be fine though as that's about 11W at the camera and most are about 7W at night.

You're right. I did not do any math. I think I will wait little bit and save up for ES1100-8P especially since its already working for you.

Thanks!