maximum protection

adsl router question/possible system design issue

hi guys,

first timer on this site hope you can help me solve some design issues with an idea i have.

Firstly loads of experience in the security alarm game but lagging behind on the pc based/cctv transmission side of the industry.Ok then my idea is this,I have access to a pc dvr manufacturer who has made a pci card and software package available which will record and transmit cctv footage locally and also can be copied remotely via the internet.I intend to use a broadband connection with static i.p. address's allocated to both pc units with a router at either end.This is straight forward enough, but is it possible to use the router to transmit data via the extra ports that are available on the units? I have seen a unit which will allow for communication between the routers(voice only)would i be able to transmit data by modem if i use a adsl filter at both ends.The reason for this is that i want to piggyback data transmission from the security system also located on site with the cctv system. any ideas?

It is possible technically, but I don't know of any DVR software that will support this. Furthermore, if you intend to run it 24/7, it will turn up to be more expensive than upgrading your DSL's upload speed.

I dont quite understand.

But incase this is what you are asking, you can use the additional ports on the router to connect to PCs, and other devices, to utilize the internet, or direct on the LAN. They will each have their own local IP. The static Ip is entered also in the router, and you can port forward any requests to the static IP, on which ever port your cctv or security or other uses, to forward to the designated local IP address that you enter into the local devices.

sorry if i didn't make myself clear.

I'm trying to use one port for the cctv transmission,the system can be accessed remotely via broadband and can also transmit to a monitoring centre,any triggered alarm events.Broadband will only be used when a guard tour is selected for that site.The system will record locally.

As well as this, i'm trying to send on a separate port, modem information, again remotely accessable but will communicate alarm events between two intruder alarm systems.One will be a central receiver and one the transmitter.My question is related to possible data conflicts/system crashes due to the data transfere.I understand that they will use separate ip addresses etc. but can a modem talk to another modem directly or will this idea not work.Any ideas????

It is possible to use the modem in order to connect to another computer and send/recieve information over the phone line even when connected to the internet on the same line via DSL. If your application supports sending those triggers via modem, and the other computer holds an application that would accept those triggers, then I don't see any problem.

Anyway, best thing is to test it for yourself

Let me see if can help. Maximum, you are tring to use a multiport router at both ends to attach a DVR, and another device that will send data only for alarms right? If so, I think I know the problem. When using a web safe router, inorder for the DVR to work properly, you must direct the DMZ to the IP address of the recorder, with that configured, the other ports can also use the internet bandwidth, but if you use the math, the DVR is probably taking close to 100% of the avail bandwidth, which means if you try to take another device, assign a statis IP from the routers and go the other direction with data only, it should work, it will just slow the DVR data rate down.

Make sense?

while this topic is active again, I have an issue, I have a Video Server, i also have a Linksys Router, and a DVR connected to that.

The router has port forwarding to the DVR port, no problems. I have a Static IP by the way. Other computers are also connected to the Router for internet access, no problems. The DVR serves all 16 cameras remotelt, but no audio. This video server is strictly for 8 of the indoor cameras that have audio, the video server has audio and 8 video ports.

Now, this is the Info I have recieved from the Manufacturer on how to connect the Video Server, maybe you can make sense of it:

-----------------------------------------

Uses H.323 standard

Requires an opening in firewall for

Q.931

H.245

UDP

Dynamic RTP must be active

Block T120

Port forwarding will not work

Must have a Public IP address if outside access is necessary

Ports are dynamic and change as the need arises.

Best if access is via the DMZ

--------------------------------------

So, that said, does this mean I need to buy a seperate Static IP for it, or I can use the same? The other info I dont understand. I can input an IP into the video server, as well as other info.

Thanks

Rory

while this topic is active again, I have an issue, I have a Video Server, i also have a Linksys Router, and a DVR connected to that.

The router has port forwarding to the DVR port, no problems. I have a Static IP by the way. Other computers are also connected to the Router for internet access, no problems. The DVR serves all 16 cameras remotelt, but no audio. This video server is strictly for 8 of the indoor cameras that have audio, the video server has audio and 8 video ports.

Now, this is the Info I have recieved from the Manufacturer on how to connect the Video Server, maybe you can make sense of it:

-----------------------------------------

Uses H.323 standard

Requires an opening in firewall for

Q.931

H.245

UDP

Dynamic RTP must be active

Block T120

Port forwarding will not work

Must have a Public IP address if outside access is necessary

Ports are dynamic and change as the need arises.

Best if access is via the DMZ

--------------------------------------

So, that said, does this mean I need to buy a seperate Static IP for it, or I can use the same? The other info I dont understand. I can input an IP into the video server, as well as other info.

Thanks

Rory

Rory, You should not have to by another IP, you need to do two things, go the admin software of the Router, assign the port for the video server a Statick IP, Hyper term into the video server using a cross over cable and assign that same IP address, subnet and gateway. At that point the unit should work, and should be accessable via the internet. Then only thing that I see might get in the way is the DMZ settings, but again, I do think it will. Remember, do not use DHCP, it will not work for the video server and make sure to open a fire wall port. The DVR is probably using 9999, 80, 20001, etc.. so you will not have any conflict, or should not experience much as connection goes. Let me know if it works.

ok, thanks alot for the help, i will be there tomorrow and give it a try

Rory

One thing to remember is that when you move a computer into a routers DMZ zone, you're moving it outside of the firewall. All of those specs they listed are various protcalls for video teleconferencing. Are they requiring the client side to have software to view?

Hi

yes, they have client side software, the device itself is a video server. Ok I think I get it now, so DMZ it is accessable via the internet, so the client side remote software will recognise the device.

Yes, but it's completely accessable. The worm of the month will find it a sweet target, so make sure it's firewalled with a software firewall at least.

its non PC based, it is a simple embedded system, actually very simple it has barely any features, just watch and listen, thats it, 1 camera at a time

Its the Kalatel SVME8 - i tell you what, I wont buy that again! Doesnt match up to their DVRs. Anyway, it does the job, its being discontinued I think. All set up is done via a serial cable and hyper terminal to the Eprom.

Im going with axis next time, probably.