Sign in to follow this  
dannyboon

does an ip camera fed in your laptop consume data

I have no idea about ip cameras.

Can someone tell me if a 2mp ip outdoor security camera set up to your laptop will consume internet data if you only store and access videos on your laptop with no remote access.

Do you need an internet connection as I only have wireless internet.

where can I get detailed information to do a surveilance set up with no remote access.

Thanks for any help,

Danny

it will not consume any internet data. It will only be local you dont need to worry. The setup will be the same as any other system...there are tons of pots in the ip section. Just dont configure the remote access.

Welcome to the club. I did my first IP camera system earlier this year. Quite the learning curve I must say. Things I learned.

There are IP cameras and POE IP cameras. IP cameras need a separate power supply while POE (Power Over Ethernet) don't as long as your router or switch delivers POE or you use an "injector".

Both types require the CAT5/CAT6 cables follow the proper pattern for the wires. If you make your own cables follow the pattern as if your life depended on it.

Make sure the cameras you order are able to talk to any system and not limited to only the manufacturers NVR.

Those are the three lessons I learned. Good luck.

just to clarify a bit:

any poe camera that I know of also has a power input jack so you can either use poe or the apropriate plug in power (typically 12 volts dc, 24 volts ac or for a few odd balls, 5 or 9 volts dc)

the pattern of any wiring counts as those are the paths by which things flow. This applies to cat 5 or 6 data cabling as well as to dc voltage power supplies and even analog coax video cabling, its just harder to get out of pattern with coax.

Not necessarily. Many Axis cameras, in particular, have done away with separate power connections - PoE only.

Power

Power over Ethernet IEEE 802.3af/802.3at Type 1

AXIS P3354/P3364-V/P3384-V: Class 2; max 5.9 W

AXIS P3364-LV:

IR illumination on: Class 3; max 12.1 W

IR illumination off: Class 2; max 5.9 W

AXIS P3365-V: Class 2; max 4.2 W

AXIS P3346/P3346-V: Class 2; max 6.4 W

AXIS P3367-V: Class 2; max 6.2 W