Does anyone know how to connect to a LNR280 via terminal or force a firmware upgrade on booting?

My situation is that my LNR280 is stuck in a bootloop. I think its due to a firmware upgrade going bad. Now I can't get to the normal local menu on the NVR and I can only briefly see it from the remote Mac client before it reboots. This brief time is not long enough to upgrade firmware.

Any experience out there? I tried Lorex support and it just wasted 2 hours of my day... terrible support!

Do you have enough time to get into the maintenance menu and perform a factory reboot?

Do you have enough time to get into the maintenance menu and perform a factory reboot?

You mean factory settings? Yes, which I have done. I also tried to restore saved settings I backed up and both you get the same result. In addition to restoring factory default settings I also have just enough time to save some settings like warnings and stuff like that. (all using remote console)

After a few weeks of searching for this answer I finally took a long shot and emailed Hikvision support. They are the main manufacture for all Lorex NVRs as most members here know. You can use an UPTOOL (windows exe only) to push the firmware to the NVR via ethernet on your local network. PDF is in the zip with specific instructions. I hope this saves some others some time if you end up getting in the same situation as I did! I ended up fixing mine by running this tool in Parallels with a virtual Windows XP install. Worked great! Just make sure you have firewall off for the ethernet port you are using or it won't work.

I tried to attach the zip but keeps erroring and then it doesn't like pdfs so here is a link on drive:

http://goo.gl/3lt67P (I can't post a url either??.. that sucks!)

P.S. Don't even bother with Lorex support. Worst damn tech support EVER! I was to the top tier of technical support and I could tell they were just reading from a doc.. step by step procedure. Just freaking ridiculous. Not to mention they would have never been able to provide me with this fix. They wanted me to buy a new NVR or pay for a repair since I was two months out of my 1 year warranty! Thank goodness for Hikvision support

I have used the tftp firmware update method on this NVR, the same way you use for the Hikvision cameras.

Lorex's tech support isn't great, not worth trying really. Their tech support is really based in Spain, the people that know things.

Steve, you are my hero!

My Lorex LNR280 completely stopped responding and wouldn't boot up. I had the same exact experience as you with Lorex support.

I downloaded your files and things...almost..worked.

The UpTool exe included in your zip threw a gnarly error in a foreign language.

So, i downloaded a different version of the tool from 'academy.visiotech' (just a random site i found that had the tool). Anyway with the new tool, your solution worked like a charm to bring my LNR280 back to life.

This saved me hundreds of dollars, thanks!

Here's the link to the UpTool i used:

http://academy.visiotech.es/es/safire/downloads/software/download/42:safire-uptool/68:safire-uptool