Sign in to follow this  
ps0303

Camera angle view

I'm in the market for a security camera system for the house, outside. I like the looks of the dome cameras as they seem to look better on the outside of a house plus seem a bit more concealed. One system I saw was the Night Owl B-PE45-4DM7. It is a 4 camera system with the dome cameras. One thing I am not sure on is that the cameras only have a 40 degree angle of view. Initially the cameras will be mostly on the front of the house, driveway, front door, and one somewhere else. I am trying to determine what a 40 degree view looks like and whether or not I should consider a system without the dome cameras. So any insight on the cameras would be helpful.

Trying to keep my initial cost for the system close to $500.

The cameras only have a 40% angle of view because they have a 8mm lens. If you want a wider angle, 3.6mm is much more common for a fixed lens camera and general provides a 70-80 degree angle of view.

A manually adjustable lens is an obvious option here too. If you don't know what lens you really need, go with someone more universal like a 2.8mm-12mm lens.