harieta

best camera for long distance night vision

Hi

my recent purchase of hikvision ds-2cd8283f-eiz ended up in disappointed both in quality of image and ir range

Can someone recommend best night vision ip camera

I have hikvision nvr so either another hikvision product or something compatible with the nvr

thank you

The DS-2CD2032-I are not bad, 3MP and fairly decent IR. Let me know if you are interested in selling the ds-2cd8283f-eiz

Brenning

Harieta - what time of distance and setting are you looking at?

I have a couple of the dome versions that you have (DS-2CD7283F-EIZ) and been pretty happy with the quality so far.

Any pics that folks might be able to help with?

Hi

my recent purchase of hikvision ds-2cd8283f-eiz ended up in disappointed both in quality of image and ir range

Can someone recommend best night vision ip camera

I have hikvision nvr so either another hikvision product or something compatible with the nvr

thank you

Looking for GE Accord camera...anyone have a source?

Not to hijack but have you guys seen quality on these?

I recently bought a m1054 axis camera for 215.00 but only 1mp. Audio quality is what I wanted though so I'm happy.

But how about these 3mp? Any good?

image.thumb.jpg.03640412398304a4196d0d25754063df.jpg

The best camera I've seen for long distance IR is the Dahua sd59230s-hn or sd59212s-hn. They are 30x and 12x 1080P PTZ cameras, but probably has the long range IR I'vre seen, good to light up an area a block away and the IR angle adjusts as you zoom in. Probably less expensive than the bullet you have at about $600 for the 12x.

The best low light Hikvisions are their 720P cameras, but most people here get the 3MP which are good enough, but nowhere near the 720P versions for low light. There are also some really good 720P cameras from Axis and Samsung for low light. Again, not many people want 720P, just putting it out there if that's the priority.

If you really want 5MP, there are two with very good low light performers, but no IR LEDs, so if it's very dark, you'll need to buy illuminators. But the Axis P3367-VE, very nice 5MP dome, good low light performance, comparable to me to many 1080P/3MP cameras. The Bosch Dinion Starlight 8000 MP, best low light camera I've seen outside of the 720P cameras, but it's a box camera, so plan on buying a housing for it for use outdoors. Both run in the $1,200ish range. If you need illuminators, they exists from $15 to $1,500, let me know and I can steer you based on your needs.

The best low light Hikvisions are their 720P cameras, but most people here get the 3MP which are good enough, but nowhere near the 720P versions for low light.

Can you explain why that is... something to do with the lens or?

Thanks!

Has to do with pixel density on the sensor. The more pixels you put on a given sized sensor, the smaller the pixels are, the less light they can collect. This is a broad generalization as new technology becomes available and there's better algorithms for noise reduction being written, low light sensitivity has been improving. For example, the typical 3MP Hik is rated by them as 0.1 lux, their typical 720P camera is 0.028 lux and I've seen the difference in real world use. That's not to say their 3MP are bad, they are quite good in low light, but not as good as 720P.

Just hope the facts doesn't lead to a stampede on 720P Hiks as the truth is, the added resolution, even with the higher noise in low light is still an advantage in viewing detail at night. Maybe closer to a 30% advantage, not the 100% advantage people believe having double the pixels provides. Having been a pro photographer for years, you learn the difference between number of pixels and true optical resolution as the two get confused due to marketing. After all, I can go in Photoshop and make a 1MP image from a camera 10MP with a click of the mouse, but that does not add more detail, just makes the file bigger.

Thank you, the education is appreciated.

OT: The HD camera tech is moving pretty fast it seems, (note cheaper prices on 3MP cams verses the smaller MP cams) any new sensor breakthroughs on the horizon?

Of course the breakthroughs are on the very high end, but Bosch Dinion 8000 MP is a very impressive 5MP camera. ACTi should be releasing their 6MP which will surprisingly be their low light king, better than their current 2MP low light cameras. But eventually it filters down to the affordable. Also tech used in pro level digital cameras filters down the food chain but even they know their limits as you see more going to larger full frame sensors even at the prosumer price range.

OT: The HD camera tech is moving pretty fast it seems, (note cheaper prices on 3MP cams verses the smaller MP cams) any new sensor breakthroughs on the horizon?

That is why I upgraded my cameras from gadspot (junk) analog to hikvision IP cameras, a lot better and more clear picture for around $100 a camera, can't go wrong. Sure there will always be "better" stuff on the horizon and I might swap out a camera here and there but I have very pleased with these new megapixel cameras, the difference is night and day.

That is why I upgraded my cameras from gadspot (junk) analog to hikvision IP cameras, a lot better and more clear picture for around $100 a camera, can't go wrong. Sure there will always be "better" stuff on the horizon and I might swap out a camera here and there but I have very pleased with these new megapixel cameras, the difference is night and day.

Likewise, I upgraded from extremely cheap analogue cameras to the Hikvision 3mp 2cd2032's and they are an awesome improvement, especially since each camera is completely configurable such as turning off IR etc. fantastic investment and I am more than happy with the low light performance as well as the "smart IR" feature. Colour representation was also significantly better on the Hikvisions than the older cheaper cams, made the old ones almost look like black and white!!