Sign in to follow this  
mus429

Poor Pro 510 Camera quality from Swann

I have a Swann DVR8 with Pro 510 cameras. They are driving me crazy as all cameras start recording when they switch from daylight to IR. On a cloudy day I can get 100 emails notifying me that they are recording. I've tried reducing sensitivity and I only have a very minor area for each camera to detect motion. All cameras are inside the home and none are facing windows.

Swann's answer "Buy more expensive cameras". Terrific, they didn't suggest this when I purchased the system.

I've had some cameras which are viewing nothing moving, yet trigger the motion alarm. Some of these were older non-Swann cameras. And all cameras trigger the motion alarm at night if set at the same sensitivity as day.

So for the night hours, I totally turn down the sensitivity. Day more sensitive. Older cameras may have the motion alarm totally turned off. Higher quality cameras have an OSD or On Screen Display and also may give you the option to reduce the "noise". Noise looks like snow.

Note if you are wanting an alarm system, get "dual technology" passive infra red / microwave motion detectors connected to an alarm system. No false alarms! Here is a bit on those...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_detector#Dual-technology_motion_detectors