Sign in to follow this  
MtnDweller

Removing internet access from DVR

I own a DVR4-1200 Swann DVR and wondered if it was possible to remove internet access from the camera. I understand through some research online that Swann is particularly vulnerable and that commands can be sent via the port 9000 were getting through without proper authentication. If so how do I take the DVR off line?

Secondly is it possible for a hacker to alter recordings, so what you watch later is incorrect. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

MtnDweller

I own a DVR4-1200 Swann DVR and wondered if it was possible to remove internet access from the camera. I understand through some research online that Swann is particularly vulnerable and that commands can be sent via the port 9000 were getting through without proper authentication. If so how do I take the DVR off line?

The easy way, remove the network cable from the DVR.

The DVR doesn't have a network cable, it runs through Wi-fi. I have attempted to change the port a number of times and saving it - only to find that the port returns back to 9000.

Any ideas?

Change the network settings so they no longer match your Gateway. If it's not configured for you network, there should be no way to access it outside of standing in front of it.

The DVR doesn't have a network cable, it runs through Wi-fi. I have attempted to change the port a number of times and saving it - only to find that the port returns back to 9000.

Any ideas?

Remove the wifi configuration on the DVR; or just change the wifi password on your internet connection/router.

The easy way, remove the network cable from the DVR.

Ditto

Thanks for the advice. I will do this and hope that it stays programmed with the new settings.

The other question that hasn't been answered - can previous recordings be altered if a hacker can get in via the old port ?

I thought the whole idea of this was to take your DVR off the network. How is a hacker going to have access to it if it's not accessible?

Also, why do you have ANY ports open at this point. You're obviously not going to be needing them open since you're taking your DVR off the network. Just undo any port forwarding.

Hypothetically speaking, and if this hacker has super powers at this point, you can't alter video through the DVR...but you can certainly format the drive in some cases and delete any existing video altogether.