Sign in to follow this  
gadgetguy

Wiring outdoor heated housings

The heated housings I have seen are 24 volt. Do you all recommend running seperate 18g to the heater/blower and another run for the camera, or do you run one line and power both the camera and heater from the same line?

If you run two 18g lines plus an rg59, are there siamese that have dual 18g? I have only seen siamese with one 18g, perhaps for good reason?

On a differnet note, if you were running new lines, would you run a cat5/6 in addition to the rg59/18g for potential future use? If so, is there a quality siamese that incorporates all three lines?

Thanks in advance.

Most heater/blower housings are 24Volt.

What we do is run one 24 volt power supply to the heated housing with 18guage. That will power the housing.

Then use a 24 to 12 volt converter to run to the camera.

Thanks K,

That "Trimese" cable looks like the hot ticket.

Back to the heater/blower though, do you run a risk of too little amperage reaching the blower and camera when you run only one 18g line with a 24v PS? I plan to use Pano 484's that have a 12/24v switch on camera so I would not need a converter. Also, when you attach the power leads, do you split the 18g at the housing into 4 or doe you splice another piece of 18g and run it from the blower to the camera? Seems like a potential setup for interference when the blower/heater is on?

I only use 24volt cams in them and yes 1 run to the housing then I parallel off to the camera. Large enough housings can fit a cam and an inverter but I don't do it.

I checked with pano support and they recommend running seperate power lines. One for the camera and one for the housing. Is this just overkill? Couold I use the trimese and use the Cat5 for the other power line? Say, combine half of the ends for + and half for -?

Just make sure your lines can handle the amperage. Our outdoor housings draw close to 2 amps with the heaters going and we are fine. It's been standard practice for awhile. We do put small boards with surge supression in the housing, however. It takes care of the split and the 24-12 conversion as well.

How far and how much?

Which cam and which housing? Different cameras draw wildly different amounts of power, probably simular for the housings.