adam8

Swann DVR8-4000 Hard Drive Replacement

I have a Swann DVR8-4000 Tru Blue model DVR with 8 channels, 6 are active. It has a Western Digital 1Tb drive in it. The system began freezing up, despite being set to auto-reboot itself every day at 1AM, which rendered it basically useless.

I talked with Swann Technical support, which was basically useless as well. They were suggesting that the power supply was bad, and a number of other items that are unrelated to the problem. The freezing / crashing problem seems to decrease in frequency when the hard drive is reformatted.

I decided to replace the hard drive with a 2TB Western Digital hard drive from Best Buy. I installed it into the DVR and it was not recognized. I formatted it using my computer, and reinstalled it and it recognized it as a 1800GB drive, which looked right. A few hours later, the error went off and it was no longer recognized. I removed it from the DVR and it works fine in the computer. The old hard drive also worked when reinstalled back into the DVR.

Any ideas on how to properly format the hard drive to make it work in the DVR??

Thanks in advance.

Well the 1TB HDD might be going out. The 2TB HDD that you bought, is it surveillance grade or the desktop grade. I have had some issues with HDD that are not surveillance drives. Make sure the HDD is a Seagate SV35.