kg6mti

Need IR help for outdoor camera.

Hello All:

I am reletively new to the whole CCTV security system stuff. I have started to install a new system at a vacation home I have. I have a camera in the backyard that needs some IR help.

The situation is the following. The IR built into the camera is not strong enough to light up the area good enough at night. Is there a seperate IR that I can add to the area to help light it up at night? If so, what do you guys recommend and where can they be purchased?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Welcome to the group!

How large of an area are you trying to illuminate? Depending on your camera, it may only have a range up to 10 feet?

If you want a cheap solution to supplement the IR illuminator, you could install some incandescent lighting for this area? Incandescent lighting is rich in IR.

As an alternative solution, checkout

www.extremecctv.com

Cheers......Rapid

Hello kg6mti,

You can purchase an external IR source to add to any camera. They can be found at most cctv websites. Do a search for "IR Illuminator" and you should find some.

Welcome to the group!

How large of an area are you trying to illuminate? Depending on your camera, it may only have a range up to 10 feet?

If you want a cheap solution to supplement the IR illuminator, you could install some incandescent lighting for this area? Incandescent lighting is rich in IR.

As an alternative solution, checkout

www.extremecctv.com

Cheers......Rapid

Thanks for the replies.

The area I need to illuminate is about 40ft x 30 ft. I don't want to install any regular lighting because there are neighbors near by and I don't wish to upset my neighbors with security lighting.

I realize I can do a Google search for IR illuminators but I am hoping someone can point me to a source that is reliable and an IR that they have experience using that worked well for them.

How far away from the camera is the fov?

The entire area is abouit 40ft x 30ft. The area I am watching is a backyard of a home. The main focus is a building about 30ft from the camera.

30ft is really not that far from the camera. usually we would tell you to go to extreme. You could use one of these

http://www.macepro.com/catalog/cameras/bullet_camera/CAM53CIR

there are several people on this forum that have gotten this camera and been very pleased with it.

That camera looks very similar to the one that I already have. I checked the specs and it looks like it has better resolution that mine. Mine is 420 lines and the CAM53CIR is 470. I am willing to give this camera a shot.

Can anyone recommend a good place to order them on the internet? It always makes me gives me a better piece of mind when others have ordered from a company and can tell me their experience was positive.

Thanks!