Sign in to follow this  
Rossman

CAT5E or RG59 for future upgrade

I currently have a Q-see analog system (model 5616 960H) installed. I'll be running cable to my new detached garage soon. I'm using RG59. However, if I upgrade my system in a few years to 1080P, will I need CAT5E cable or will the RG59 work? I'll be running it underground in a PVC tube....so it is important to do it only once. I'm considering running both cables. TIA.

Well if you are wanting to upgrade from Analogue to IP system, i would deff run Cat5E but you also can just run RG59 and in the future you can get RG59 to Cat5 transmitters and receivers and still use the RG59. Also you can just run the CAT5E cable and use video baluns. How long are your runs?

My runs are less than 100 feet. The detached garage is only 20 feet from my house. The wire from the house to the DVR is less than 25 feet.....so I'll have approx 50 feet available once the 100 ft wire gets inside the garage. I think I'll just run one quality CAT5E wire to the garage and the rest will be RG59. This way if I ever want a direct internet connection, the cable will be there. I really only need one camera inside the garage. What wire would I need if I wanted a 1080P PTZ outside my detached garage? TIA.

For the PTZ you would need RG59 with 18/2 Power and 24/2 Data. If your PTZ is Analog , If it is IP, than you would just need a CAT5E cable.

Honestly, why bother with analog, you are wasting money on old, outdated technology. I would just run the Cat5e or Cat6, install IP camera(s) and be done with it now. I just pulled out all the analog junk in my house, my only regret was buying the analog junk in the first place. I would have saved myself a ton of money and time by buying the good stuff the first time, even though it was more expensive initially.