KJT

Speco/ProVideo CVC-350BC or CVC 575BL?

Hi everyone,

I posted last week looking for suggestions for a new camera because an existing camera stopped sending a viewable image. I had a chance to climb a ladder to inspect it today, and it appears to be an early Speco/ProVideo ball camera (installed ~1996).

Since the wiring and wall mount are both in place, I am considering replacing it with another Speco ball camera.

Are either of these worth purchasing?

CVC-350BC (B/W):

http://www.specotech.com/cart/products/productDetails.asp?prodID=279

CVC-575BL (Color):

http://www.specotech.com/cart/products/productDetails.asp?prodID=311

Looking at the specs for the color camera, I think I'd clearly need spotlights to see anything at night (1.0 lux f1.8 lens).

If true, then would the B/W camera (0.02 lux f1.4 lens) be the better option?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think the BW would be a better choice for two reaons.

1) It has a higher resolution 420 compared to the colors 350, which is considered really low end.

2) The .02 lux rating will give you much better picture quality in lower lighting conditions. If it is a true rating you should be able to see in the dark with very minimal lighting. A street light for example would provide enough light for monitoring purposes.

Will the camera be subjected to direct sunlight hitting the lens during the day? If that is the case neither one will work out for you. Try to direct the lens camera away from a direct view away from the sun. That might be why that last camera went bad.

Jasper: Thanks for the reply.

The camera doesn't face the sun, but it bakes in the sun. I think the housing may have leaked after 10 years in the elements.

I think the BW would be a better choice for two reaons.

1) It has a higher resolution 420 compared to the colors 350, which is considered really low end.

2) The .02 lux rating will give you much better picture quality in lower lighting conditions. If it is a true rating you should be able to see in the dark with very minimal lighting. A street light for example would provide enough light for monitoring purposes.

Will the camera be subjected to direct sunlight hitting the lens during the day? If that is the case neither one will work out for you. Try to direct the lens camera away from a direct view away from the sun. That might be why that last camera went bad.

Those were what we were installing during the mid 90's for entry and gararage driveway cameras. We were having some problems with those getting directly hit with rain. Would hit body and roll down infront of lens. Also moisture and dust would seem to work its way in after a couple years.

I have recently installed several of these and they seem much better designed regarding dealing with the elements and being sealed. Have had a good deal of rain lately "here in the Pacific NorthWest" and no problems at all. The allow a great amount of range of movement incase you want to change the direction they are pointed.

Funny thing is that several homeowners have asked us to comeout saying an outdoor floodlight doesn't seem to be coming on. I enjoy telling them "No, that is the CCTV Camera"

http://www.netmedia.com/pr_vid_main.html

I have recently installed several of these and they seem much better designed regarding dealing with the elements and being sealed.

My camera was originally installed by an alarm company, and it appears to have been wired to provide notice of tampering and/or a power-failure -- there are two "chicklets" and a length of 2-wire phone line inside the camera housing, with three leads attached to the wires in the ball-pivot. When I unplugged the power supply to see if the camera image would return . . . the doorbell would ring at 3:50 am and 5:50 am!

Have you seen these cameras wired in this manner (or instructions for doing so)? I hope to be able to reproduce the wiring scheme on the new camera -- hope the wires are the same color...

KJT

do you want the doorbell to ring at those times?

Anyway, I would just use a Vandal Dome that has a 360 degree gimble, they werent available back then which is why these things were popular - back then.

do you want the doorbell to ring at those times?

Of course not. But someone did -- that's why it only rings at those hours when the CCTV power supply is unplugged. Tested, and repeatable. Unfortunately, I don't know how to disable it. The answer lies behind the 4x8 sheet of plywood with "cans" on the front and wires (and wires and wires) in back.

That is a weird one.

Let us know what you find. I can't imagine someone setting that up to ring at those times. Did the doorbell ever ring when the camera was still operating. Like someone hooked it up to ring the bell when the camera saw something?

I don't know. Very strange. If it wasn't for the specific times I would have guessed you have an intermittent short causing the door bell to ring.

Let us know. Very interesting.

I put some plywood in my attic and accidentally put it on top of the doorbell wires, so when I would walk around up there my doorbell would ring when stepping on that area. My dog would go nuts. I came down out of tha attic a few times thinking the kids where playing doorbell ditch before I figured out what was going on.

I still have no idea about the doorbell-camera power relationship (other than it exists)!

As for these CVC/ProVideo cameras, I have decided to pass on both and buy a MACE CAM53CIR instead.

Thanks to Rory, Kandcorp, Jisaacmagee and CraigVM62 for all your help in numerous PMs.

I'll let you know how the replacement goes.

KJT