RichTJ99

Basic PC DVR questions (windows XP / Geovision)

Hi,

I have a few questions about using a dedicated PC as a DVR. It sounds like making sure that particular PC is only used for the DVR function is the way to go.

The auto reboot function of geovision software, how should that work if you have a "login" for the PC? Currently when I reboot the winxp password protected user account, I need to input a password in order to login & have the geovision software continue loading.

How do I get around that?

I have a password on the PC so I can log in via remote desktop. RD needs a username and password. I cant figure out how to get around it.

I want to put all winxp updates & patches on the pc. can I install an antivirus as well? is that a no no?

You need "Power Toys" from Microsoft. In there is a facility for auto logon.

About the anti virus, thats ok but as an example with Symantec I let it auto update the deffinition files because it never needs to reboot the pc, but any other update is left at "just notify", more often than not these require a reboot, so I install those updates and reboot when convenient to me.

I let it do a weekly scan, never found the scan upseting GV.

Leave Windows own firewall switched on and also install Microsofts free Anti Spyware program with auto updating swithched on. Again just think about the times for the scans and auto updating.

Probably don't need the Anti Virus or Anti Spyware installed but I can't get happy leaving a pc connected to the net without!

Another thing I do is to only leave the System restore switched on for C drive only, drives that GV records to are not monitored.

I would like some body else to say if this is the right or wrong way to set up a dedicated GV PC, or any thing else I should be doing?

Any help much appreciated.

Go to run and put in control userpasswords2

Uncheck the box there and select the account you want it to boot as.

Go to run and put in control userpasswords2

Uncheck the box there and select the account you want it to boot as.

Do you know a way to make it work as a limited user rather then admin acount?

If the account you specify is a limited account, the computer will boot with limited priviledges.

I mean make geovision work with a limited account...

set up Geo to auto login to a User account and set the users priviledges.

The windows user account so the operator can't make system changes.

just use the keylock utility and if it has a DSP port lose the PC Monitor, keyboard and mouse, and output the DCP to a CCTV Monitor/TV and give them an IR Remote. Also, get rid of Remote Desktop, use only 1 windows account as default and no pass, and use VNC to remote to it when needed.

This is more for where the system serves another purpose like POS or email access. So there would at times be a local user, right now I just have the geo user launch the screensaver immedately and it forces another login. If you are stitting there at just the right time you can stop it and have access to an admin account until the screensaver does kick in. I'm not too familiar with the keylock setting, how does it work? How hard is it to compromise?

It sets it so you cant do CTL-ALT-DEL and access anything else, its as good as Winforcer or any other windows security program, accessing the registry etc.

Anyway, how secure is secure ... Once they have access to the DVR physically they can always just pull the power plug, carry the whole PC with them, or yuck out the HDD with the video files on it and slap it in another PC

Check out WinForcer also ..

http://www.winforcer.com/

On windows, I can't get geo to run under a limited user account. If you use XP home you'll never notice since everyone is an admin by default but if you have pro you can lock users down pretty well possibly even with a domain.

ok so you mean windows Limited accounts, not Geo Limited accounts ..

never used XP home ... ill check it out with this pro version once ive done with some of this coding ..