Sign in to follow this  
joeveebee

Wiring coax in new construction

Hello,

I am about to start pulling wire through a commercial construction project and have the good fortune to make my runs before the sheetrock is installed. The ceilings in this building will not be suspended tiles, they will be solid sheetrock.

I would like to be able to terminate my runs by pulling them through some type of box or low voltage box nailed to the ceiling joists exactly where I want them to come through the sheetrock so that the rock installers will cutout for these boxes and my cables will be hanging from the ceilings ready for me to install the cameras. I cannot use the standard single gang low volt J boxes as they are bigger than the footprint of my cameras.

I haven't found anything that fill this need.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

jVB.

Why dont you use a round junction box...Second, why coax...why not run ethernet and use ip cameras on a new project...at the very least run ethernet now so that will be an option in the future..

Why dont you use a round junction box...Second, why coax...why not run ethernet and use ip cameras on a new project...at the very least run ethernet now so that will be an option in the future..

This^^ Make sure you run cat5 with it.. but round J boxes sound like it might be the solution for you .. although I haven't seen low voltage ones.. I don't see why you couldn't use normal plastic round j boxes..

What kind of Camera's are you planning on installing?

I agree look at running cat5/6 as you could use it for analog as well as power if you are running coax what about power running the cat cable allowes for POE and you don't need a pair or additional wire for power. if the area is going to be closed in when contruction is done consider running an additonal cat cable for data or whateven new device will be on the network in the future I would run a min of cat 5e cat 6 if the customer will pay for it