Sign in to follow this  
george_cc

Camera Selection 1/3" 700 vs 1/4" 1000 TV Lines

Hello to everyone.

I would like you to help me in order to determine which of the following cameras is going to give me better Image result.

I have found two cameras with the following characteristics:

The First one is: with CMOS OV 1/4", 1000TV Lines, Varifocal 2.8mm-12. and IR Cut off

The Second one is: with Sony CCD 1/3", 700TV lines, Varifocal 2.8mm-12

Which one of the above you think is better? By "better" I mean which one of the Two will give me a more Clear & Sharp View.

Any personal experience or opinion will be very helpful to decide..

thank you

You're going to need to provide item numbers, links, or a full list of specs for anyone to be certain.

If I had to throw out a guess based on what you've provided thus far, I would quickly assume the Sony. My own personal experience would send me in that direction regardless if these were my choices.

You're going to need to provide item numbers, links, or a full list of specs for anyone to be certain.

If I had to throw out a guess based on what you've provided thus far, I would quickly assume the Sony. My own personal experience would send me in that direction regardless if these were my choices.

Dear friend, thank you for your reply, below, there are some more specs:

For the first 1000 TV Line CMOS:

Sensor: 1/4" CMOS (OV9712+AVS03P) + IR Cut filter, Low Lux.

Resolution: 1000TVL/720p -Picture Elements 1280(H)×800(V)

Sensitivity: 0.001 Lux (F2.0). Varifocal 2.8~12mm (Manual Iris).

36 IR LEDs ¢ 5 mm, MAX 30 m.

Other: UTC, BLC, HDNR,BLC, Smart D-WDR, 3D DNR, μενού OSD

Auto-tracking και Auto-zoom.

12 VDC.

For the second 720 TV Line Sony CCD:

Sensor: 1/3” SONY ICX811AK CCD & SONY Effio-A (CXD4151GG) DSP, Low Lux.

Resolution: 960H/720TVL. Sensitivity: 0.001 Lux (F2.0).

Varifocal 2.8~12mm (Manual Iris).

36 IR LEDs ¢ 5 mm, 30 m.

Other: BLC, HLC, D-WDR, 2DNR, UTC, OSD menu.

12 VDC.

If I have my information right, the amount of detail you're able to obtain in the image is going to be just about the same. Because of the programming on the CMOS, it might appear to be slightly hazy next to the Sony. I also find that the Sony CCDs are more true to color than most CMOS sensors.

If I have my information right, the amount of detail you're able to obtain in the image is going to be just about the same. Because of the programming on the CMOS, it might appear to be slightly hazy next to the Sony. I also find that the Sony CCDs are more true to color than most CMOS sensors.

Thank you again.

The sony is also sligltly more expensive, but, i dont care too much about that.

I am going to install these cameras in a very close family member and told me to go for the BEST!

so...do you suggest to select the Sony, despite it is 300TV Lines less than the CMOS?

To conclude:

1/4" CMOS 1000Tv Lines < 1/3 700TV Lines Sony CCD, is that right?

The number of TV Lines here isn't nearly as important to me as the quality of the image sensor. It's pretty common that CMOS sensors will need to be anywhere from 100-300 TVL higher than a Sony sensor in order to compare. A lot of CMOS sensors are actually programmed in a way to hide how atrocious the image quality may actually be; this is what can cause that fog or hazy image.

My vote is always going to be for the Sony over any CMOS. The quality is just superior and it doesn't surprise me that it'd be more expensive. I've also found that Sony sensors have better longevity in comparison to CMOS.

The number of TV Lines here isn't nearly as important to me as the quality of the image sensor. It's pretty common that CMOS sensors will need to be anywhere from 100-300 TVL higher than a Sony sensor in order to compare. A lot of CMOS sensors are actually programmed in a way to hide how atrocious the image quality may actually be; this is what can cause that fog or hazy image.

My vote is always going to be for the Sony over any CMOS. The quality is just superior and it doesn't surprise me that it'd be more expensive. I've also found that Sony sensors have better longevity in comparison to CMOS.

Dear Don Stephens,

thank you once again for your feedback in this matter.

Now, about Longevity, it was going to be my next question to you, but you answered already.

I will definitely go for the Sony CCD for all the reasons we discussed.

Also, are you familiar with the "auto tracking" feature? Is it something like Digital Zoom to the moving object? I hope I can disable this feature via the OSD..

As far as standard definition cameras are concerned, the only experience I have with auto tracking is with PTZ cameras. I can't speak for the cameras you're looking at, but with those PTZ cameras, the auto tracking feature could be toggled off using the OSD.

I'm honestly not sure how the auto tracking feature would work on those cameras. I'm skeptical as to whether or not those cameras are capable of having that feature.