Sign in to follow this  
sluggomagoo

Cam Upgrade Suggestions

I purchased 4 of the Zmodo KDS4-BARBZ4ZN (DVR with Cam) kits several years ago. Everything still works perfectly I want to do a better quality cam on some of the locations. Cams are currently 480 TVL BNC connected. Has anybody done this? What are my best options?

There are a pluthra of 700-1000 TVL cams out there. First question is what are the resolution limitations of your DVR? Doesn't do any good to buy a camera that has a higher res than your system will support.

Here is a IR bullet and dome that have 1000TVL, 12VDC that are good:

http://www.apexcctv.com/p-1571-waterproof-vandal-resistant-bullet-cctv-camera.aspx

http://www.apexcctv.com/p-1569-vandal-proof-outdoor-dome-security-camera.aspx

Hope this helps..

CraigO

1000 TVL or 1200TVL tells how new the image sensor is.

As long as 650TVL & above, the video quality is OK for any analog cameras. Check your dvr that can support recording frame rate over 100FPS and D1 sized or 960H sized for 4 Channel analog cameras. If the recording size is CIF then the DVR must be as old as junk.

According to the specs, Display Frame Rate NTSC: 120 fps @ D1 / PAL: 100 fps @ D1

Yet Zmodo response on this:

"We won't suggest you to use a 1000TVL one. A 700TVL should be good enough."

Then the DVR is taking the full resolution that analog camera gives. So buy the one 700TVL above. The TVL number tells you the most recent sensors. As tech advances every day, you may try the 1000TVL above. Why not? But note that the Lens is a deciding factor for the video quality.