Sign in to follow this  
yoneytan

Camera system for new home... Need help please.

Hi All, i'm new to all this camera system stuff and would love to hear some feedback from people with more knowledge/experience. I am building a new house and would like a system consisting of 10-12 cameras. I've got the low voltage contractor doing all of the pre-wire using RG59. From what I can tell Hikvision seems to be good a product. Can anyone recommend a model # of Hikvision system that will fit my needs? Also, do i need anything other than the cameras and DVR? Looking to go with HD cameras so more TB is required? Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated.

Do not wire with rg59 you will be severely limiting the systems you can use. Wire with CAT6 (solid copper not copper clad aluminium)

with rg59 you will be limited to using SDI, CVI or similar technology...you want to be able to use ip cameras...Its should be a crime to wire new construction with rg59 for security camera purposes..

Thank you for advising. Should i have him run both RG59 and CAT-6 or only CAT-6? Whats a good system to use for under $2k? I need 9 exterior and maybe 3 indoor cameras and would like to view them real time.

If you are looking for a 12 camera security camera system for Under $2k, then by all means wire the house up with RG59, you will be looking at a basic analog system in this case. If you want to spend more for an IP System, then wire the house with quality CAT6

If you want a good quality IP Camera System for a 12 Camera system with a decent resolution you will definitely have to stretch that budget up by a decent amount if you want a decent setup with local warranty.

Hikvision are good, and there are many other manufacturers to chose from that are also good.

If you are looking for a 12 camera security camera system for Under $2k, then by all means wire the house up with RG59, you will be looking at a basic analog system in this case. If you want to spend more for an IP System, then wire the house with quality CAT6

If you want a good quality IP Camera System for a 12 Camera system with a decent resolution you will definitely have to stretch that budget up by a decent amount if you want a decent setup with local warranty.

Hikvision are good, and there are many other manufacturers to chose from that are also good.

What pricing are you looking at for Hikvision? If you can't put a 12 camera IP system together using Hikvision products for $2K, then you're buying from the wrong people.

What pricing are you looking at for Hikvision? If you can't put a 12 camera IP system together using Hikvision products for $2K, then you're buying from the wrong people.

Agreed Z2TT is quoting contactor pricing...OP has someone running the cable, and appears to be doing the install himself...you can do a cam dollar system for 1600..regardless rg59 should not be run in a new install.you can do analog over ethernet...or at least run ethernet as well, because its going to be a pain to run it later..

Re-read my post and take note of words local warranty. If you are fine with no local warranty or support then sure you can put something together on the cheap.

Back to the OP's question, cannot recommend anything unless we know info on the house, what areas are being monitored, distances. If you want something basic get a few 2MP Hikvision Domes and be done with it, make sure they are IP66 rated for outdoor use.

Re-read my post and take note of words local warranty. If you are fine with no local warranty or support then sure you can put something together on the cheap.

Back to the OP's question, cannot recommend anything unless we know info on the house, what areas are being monitored, distances. If you want something basic get a few 2MP Hikvision Domes and be done with it, make sure they are IP66 rated for outdoor use.

If you want a local warranty and support you can put together the system for around 2000 from either costco or LTS, as well as nellys or wrightwood...Your suggestion that the OP needs to stretch his budget by a decent amount is wrong...furthermore advising him to wire rg59 is bad practice...even if he ran analog it would be smart to use cat5/6...for future upgrades..

i'm using 8 exterior and two interior cameras. I'm building a house on a flag lot with a 15-' driveway. I want one camera facing the main gate and one getting the driveway from street to the house. The next two will be covering the front yard which is an area about 40'x50'. Two more cameras will be covering the back yard which if roughly 60'x80' in size. I then have want one at the covered patio which is 14'x22' with vaulted ceiling about 15' high and the last camera will cover the side yard of the house. The two interior will be place in the family room/kitchen area which is roughly 40'x22' in size and the upstairs landing area thats about 16'x20'. Considering the above should i be going with 4mm or 2.8mm?

I'm looking at HK-7616NI-SE with 3TB HD and HK-2CD2132-I, Any other components I need for the system aside from the CAT-6?