Sign in to follow this  
Dudster

Newbie - Need a little help

Hello.

I am in need of a 8 camera setup. I have read a little bit and realized that a standalone NVR with PoE 1,3MP cameras are the way to go.

Have no need for any kind of functionality to send to a smartphone etc and do not wish WiFi cameras either, want the safety of cabled network around my house.

Have no need for any kind of motorized cameras either.

Three of the cameras need to be installed outside, but will be installed in locations where direct rain shouldn't be a huge issue while the other 5 cameras are to be installed inside my workshop.

What should I go for?

Any help is appreciated.

Yeah, I am looking for advice on a kit from a manufacturer.

Are these systems so standardized that you can mix and match cameras and NVR and PoE switches as you like or are there a lot of proprietary solutions out there?

Yeah, I am looking for advice on a kit from a manufacturer.

Are these systems so standardized that you can mix and match cameras and NVR and PoE switches as you like or are there a lot of proprietary solutions out there?

You cannot mix and match...while some makes claim that you can, there are often issues with motion detection etc...the solution for you is to by a kit..

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146087.html