Sign in to follow this  
n1tnguy

Camera to see who's pet has been doing their #2 in my yard

Howdy everyone,

I thought this camera business would be pretty easy. After ordering a relatively cheap camera on Amazon I tried to set it up. It didn't work. I returned it thinking perhaps that the camera itself was faulty. Turns out, the entire camera line and firmware for this company is very poor.

So now here I am, I want to know who has not been picking up after their dog in my front yard. I consider myself pretty tech savvy, I have a decent desktop which I can record the video on. At first I was thinking to record video of the entire day while I'm at work but I think that may be quite an inefficient use of resources. I don't really want to use cloud services because I have my own storage right at home. Every camera has mixed reviews and I'm not sure what to believe. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Mounting a camera behind glass is not recommended.

Reflections and light leakage is hard to control.

Also, glass makes it difficult for a clean and professional look.

An external mounted camera (dome, bullet or covert) with IP66 rating is best.

Here is a related thread...

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=31581&hilit=window+glare

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The camera has to be inside because the HOA doesn't allow outdoor cameras... I know. I'll clean the window extra well! The zone that I need to record is no more than 20 feet from the house, it's not far. All I need to record is the breed of the dog, that is sufficient enough to identify the owner.