Sign in to follow this  
aurmol

3Mp narrower than 2Mp

Inexpensive cams use simple software WDR, which generally applies different levels of processing to the extreme ends of the histogram.

Better WDR can come from a variety of techniques, like logarithmic sensors (not so common), image processing hardware, or multi-exposure image processing.

The Vivotek listed above uses multi-exposure processing, which works fine in bright light, but becomes harder to use at long exposures for low light because there's not enough time to get multiple exposures of the same image:

http://www.vivotek.com/wdr/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

It's definitely possible to have a poor dynamic range image from a sensor with good dynamic range, but generally, these inexpensive sensors don't have great dynamic ranges. Better sensors cost more, and you need more powerful CPUs and more memory to process multiple images into one in realtime, all of which adds to the cost.

You have to figure a complete camera that costs $85 from China doesn't have a high priced sensor or lens. It's quite amazing that they work as well as they do.

How do you think the 4300s would compare to the sony or vivotek? which would have great dynamic range? I got two of the 4300s to replace the 5mp.

In the sony, vivotek, 4300s or others, what is their WDR decibel? Dahua listed a new 4300s with 120 decibel WDR. http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hfw8301e-626.html Does this occur at WDR Off setting (natural dynamic range) or artificial WDR? I think it's the latter or else it won't be called Ultra WDR 120 db. But then if they won't use the term WDR.. would they instead use "Natural Dynamic Range 120 db".. which may be the case here. What you think?

Always hard to say exactly what the marketing means in real world terms without testing. The camera world is full of great sounding specs that are not very good in real life.

This IPC-HFW8301E you linked, for instance, is called "Ultra-Smart". What the heck does that mean? It's just a marketing term, though it's presumably anchored in real-life improvements like better software and a faster CPU.

My guess is that it uses a faster CPU to provide more image processing. Whether it's as good as the cams that cost twice or 4 times as much would require testing.

Not everybody specs WDR in dB, but more are starting to do that, which is good. If you look at the specs for this IPC-HFW8301E, it says WDR 120dB, so that tells me it's for the WDR processing.

Looks like it's $390 shipped from China, while the 4300S is $86 shipped, so I'd hope it would perform better than the 4300S at 4x the cost. We already know the 4300S WDR is not very good compared to the Sony and Vivotek.

Always hard to say exactly what the marketing means in real world terms without testing. The camera world is full of great sounding specs that are not very good in real life.

This IPC-HFW8301E you linked, for instance, is called "Ultra-Smart". What the heck does that mean? It's just a marketing term, though it's presumably anchored in real-life improvements like better software and a faster CPU.

My guess is that it uses a faster CPU to provide more image processing. Whether it's as good as the cams that cost twice or 4 times as much would require testing.

Not everybody specs WDR in dB, but more are starting to do that, which is good. If you look at the specs for this IPC-HFW8301E, it says WDR 120dB, so that tells me it's for the WDR processing.

Looks like it's $390 shipped from China, while the 4300S is $86 shipped, so I'd hope it would perform better than the 4300S at 4x the cost. We already know the 4300S WDR is not very good compared to the Sony and Vivotek.

I got my 4300S locally at $160. Amazon selling it at $127. Where did you get it at $86? It's better not to use WDR because it's like there's a thin film put over the lens (like what buellkindle described). Also where did you read the 4300S natural dynamic range (without WDR) is not good compared to the Sony and Vivotek. I thought 4300S is the best already in the company of the Axis and other high end ones. Name one camera that even beat it in natural dynamic range in the 3MP department.

Here it is for $88 with free shipping to the US (don't know about your location):

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-3mp-ip-camera-IPC-HDW4300S-3MP-Small-IP-IR-Dome-Camera-ONVIF-Profile-S-H264/1397329554.html

All AE warnings and precautions apply, as usual. I bought mine from a US vendor for a good bit more, because I wanted better support, having had previous experience with Dahua factory non-support.

My 4300S is only slightly better than my Hik 2032s, and the dynamic range and WDR both are not much better than my 3300C. The Vivotek and Sony from korgoth's posts are far better than any inexpensive camera I've tested. There's a reason the Vivotek 1.3MP costs $600.

Look at his tests, set up your 4300S in a similar test, and see how it looks. That's the best comparison.