Sign in to follow this  
Flightrider

Newbie w HIKVISION 7608..... AND QUESTION!

Hi guys... Great forum....

I'm new to all of this (pulling my hair out) ....trying to set up my Hikvision DS-7608NI NVR... as well as general setup questions... I have the unit up and running with 6 various HIK cameras. However, HIK's manual has a lot to be desired and seems the manual is not exactly as the DVR is.

1. Can you set up a camera on your same LAN network NOT connected to the DVR? HIK's page concerning camera setup is a little confusing. The unit's D1-D8 slots are listed along with the 6 cameras I've connected to the DVR. You can search for other ip cameras on the network and it finds them. However, I don't seem to be able to connect to them. I'm suing slots D1-D6 on the DVR; however, it will not let me delete D7/D8 which I am not using to make room for the other IP cameras.

2. Somewhere I remember seeing Upgrade to FTP on the DVR setup. Can you FTP jpeg images from the DVR or just from the camera? Can you FTP from a camera connected to the DVR?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Dave

Hi guys... Great forum....

I'm new to all of this (pulling my hair out) ....trying to set up my Hikvision DS-7608NI NVR... as well as general setup questions... I have the unit up and running with 6 various HIK cameras. However, HIK's manual has a lot to be desired and seems the manual is not exactly as the DVR is.

1. Can you set up a camera on your same LAN network NOT connected to the DVR? HIK's page concerning camera setup is a little confusing. The unit's D1-D8 slots are listed along with the 6 cameras I've connected to the DVR. You can search for other ip cameras on the network and it finds them. However, I don't seem to be able to connect to them. I'm suing slots D1-D6 on the DVR; however, it will not let me delete D7/D8 which I am not using to make room for the other IP cameras.

2. Somewhere I remember seeing Upgrade to FTP on the DVR setup. Can you FTP jpeg images from the DVR or just from the camera? Can you FTP from a camera connected to the DVR?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Dave

Don't worry about the manual. Yes it probably sucks, but that's pretty normal. You still ended up with a good manufacturer.

1. You absolutely can but you complicated your life a bit in that aspect with the model of NVR you have. The built in network switches on NVRs (any model, any brand) are going to modify the cameras IP address to match what the switch thinks it should be; this usually varies from the rest of your network (i.e. - [192.168.2.1] instead of [192.168.0.1]). You'll need to go in and manually change the IP address that switch is set to and match it to your the rest of the network. Reconnect your cameras after that. The IP addresses that they're then assigned will match your network and you'll be able to access them individually however you want. Pay attention to the ports they're using; that can make it tricky too. I've had that phantom channel issue on Dahua models, and the only fix I could find for getting rid of them was to disconnect any and all cameras and then restart the NVR. Once it's back on, hook the cameras back up.

2. I believe you're correct in your assumptions here but I'm not positive with the Hikvision models.

Thanks Don,

I'll try resetting the default ip address on the DVR. I actually tried this but in all the 'learning" curve I've gone up so far on this equipment, I decided to just get her working first! The NIK manual says something about to going into the cameras and reseting their IP address; I'm assuming give them a static IP on my LAN. I'm assuming if everything has the same gateway and subnet, they'll be happy. I was trying to avoid this, but it appears that may be where it's headed! I'm new to networking, so this is a challenge. Thanks again for your responses.

Dave

Thanks Don,

I'll try resetting the default ip address on the DVR. I actually tried this but in all the 'learning" curve I've gone up so far on this equipment, I decided to just get her working first! The NIK manual says something about to going into the cameras and reseting their IP address; I'm assuming give them a static IP on my LAN. I'm assuming if everything has the same gateway and subnet, they'll be happy. I was trying to avoid this, but it appears that may be where it's headed! I'm new to networking, so this is a challenge. Thanks again for your responses.

Dave

The learning curve is a beast, but you're on the right track. Just take a step back whenever you get too frustrated; you're eventually going to end up right where you want with good system.

You picked the right place to end up when you're lost with a Hikvision product. There are A LOT of people on here who have been running Hikvision for years and have an intimate knowledge of it.