Sign in to follow this  
Very Worried

Please help me - not enough time to do proper research

My landlady trusted a scumbag as her handyman. She finally got rid of him (long story) but he had lots of time to scope out her buildings and the surrounding neighborhood. He has been vandalizing and burglarizing our cul-de-sac for weeks now. He's already been arrested twice and just comes right back. I won't get into the details, but I have reason to believe he will target my vehicle next for theft/vandalism. I want to get a camera in place ASAP. I did some reading but it's gonna take me a few days at least to understand all the terminology and work out what my options are. I hate to ask other people to do my thinking for me but I want to order a camera TODAY - I left my car at work last night and got a ride home to keep it safe but obviously that is not a sustainable situation.

I need an outdoor day/night camera that can see down from the second story to the parking lot and surrounding areas in front of the building. I can't spend more than $100 right now - maybe $150 if I have no choice. As far as I can tell, every decent camera in that price range requires the purchase of a separate DVR system, which I cannot afford. The cameras that can record right to an SD card seem to be in the $200-$300 range.

I have an SD card. I have a spare external hard drive. I have an old tower PC I can dedicate to running the camera if necessary. I have some technical ability to DIY in order to save money. The distance between my PC and the camera mounting location is 50 feet max. What are my options?

Whatever you do, dont by an 8 camera system off ebay..its likely crap..

What you need is an ip camera with an sd card slot..you cannot get good, cheap and fast...

You can save some money by going with ali express but you will not have it fast...

this camera does not have very strong night vision, but it has an sd card slot and built in mic

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-Megapixel-Weatherproof-Security-Ds-2cd2532f-/dp/B00JIK0H5Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419297283&sr=8-2&keywords=hikvision+2532

This one has stronger ir, sd card slot, no audio

http://www.amazon.com/HIKVISION-DS-2CD2732F-I-Megapixel-Bullet-NETWORK/dp/B00LP27BYU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1419296994&sr=8-3&keywords=hikvision+2732

This has NO sd card slot (but its much cheaper), you can use hikvisons free VMS software on your pc..depending on how old it is (also consider that older pc's may be power hogs)

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2332-I-Turret-Network-Camera/dp/B00GYHEG0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419297336&sr=8-1&keywords=hikvision+2332

You will need a 12v power adapter (they dont come with one) or better yet, a poe injector, you can use a single ethernet cable to power and stream data http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Gigabit-Injector-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419297473&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+injector

You will have trouble seeing anything from the second floor..all you will get is a head shot not face...

IF you are going to mount it there, then use the 2732 with a vari focal lens...

Dahua also has a motorized varifocal Dahua IPC-HFW2300R-Z which can be purchased for 200 from us sellers just google the model and select shopping ..NO SD CARD slot but you can record to dahua pss...

Why? I bought my 8ch system off eBay an guess what - It's been going strong for the last 2+ years.. Cameras are working like they are brand new.

Why? I bought my 8ch system off eBay an guess what - It's been going strong for the last 2+ years.. Cameras are working like they are brand new.

Because the quality is crap..it might be "working" but the analog image is likely horrible...

Assuming you already have a PC or Mac you can download Sighthound (formerly called Vitamin D) for free if you use just a single camera. If you add cameras then you start to pay a licence fee. The only thing you need to check is that the camera you buy is compatible which fortunately is easy by checking the compatible cameras list HERE.

Look through the list and find a camera that you have seen and like check compatibility and I assure you it's simplicity to set up

and records directly onto your computer's hard disk drive

262432_1.png