Ex-Roughneck

Hard Drive Slave Question With Costco Swann System

I bought this 2 TB NVR system from COSTCO. NVR is a Swann CONVR-B83mp

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146087.html

I want to expand/slave the existing drive to record more. I am looking at WD at their Purple Drives. I see they have 6,5,4,3 TB Drives. With the 2 TB drive that came with the system can I buy any size WD drive and slave with no issues?

Bottom Line. I don't want to buy a large drive if they system won't recognize the full value of TB the HDD actually is. Could this possibly be an issue?

Note that surveillance system disk drives are different from regular computer disk drives in that they are designed to run 24/7 as well as other things like record sequentially - they are specially designed for CCTV.

Google the words cctv disk drives

Note that surveillance system disk drives are different from regular computer disk drives in that they are designed to run 24/7 as well as other things like record sequentially - they are specially designed for CCTV.

Google the words cctv disk drives

He knows and wants to use a wd purple which is a surveillance grade drive...his question was what is the maximum size the unit will allow...

OP, just call swann and ask. It should at least handle 4tb.

Thanks. I have emailed Swann a couple times...No reply. I will attempt again. Thanks for the reply.

Their Cameras are good. There Customer Support....Not so Good.

Merry Christmas.

My friend sorry to hear that, the thing i that the NVR only holds 4TB hard drive and you have 4 IP cameras recording, how you have the cameras set up, meaning the cameras are set up to record in motion? what frame rate do you have set up on the NVR ? all this can affect the space on you hard drive, WD is a good product i have been using them on all on my installations, never have a problem and i been in business for 5 years,

another thing is my friend, the tech support of Swann or any others brands out there are not reliable, in my quote i always offer the customers 3 years of warranty and Services calls are 60 per visit, depending on the services call for example if I have to reconfigured the NVR/DVR or re do the port forwarding on the router things of that nature that is not a system fail, take a look in your website www.ispysecuritysystem.net

iSpy Security

I got a hold of Swann Tech Support on the Telephone. I did not see that option earlier I thought I was limited to emailing my questions. Swann picked up right away and had a good session.

My NVR system 3MP - 8ea cameras I bought at COSTCO came with a 2 TB SATA2 hard drive came with a Slave cable. No where in the documentation did it state max size I could expand or add to.

I saw looking at Western Digital Purple drives and they go up to 6 TB. Anyway. Swann told me that keeping the existing drive I can add a 3 TB drive (2+3) and increase my capacity to 5 TB total slaved.

They also told me that I need to add a SATA 2 drive. Of course the WD PURPLE drive I bought from WD was a better SATA version than that because they don't sell SATA 2, I am assuming ....2 is older technology. I hope it is backward compatible and will reveal the true size of the drive when I slave it. My fear was say if I slave a 6TB drive to the 2 TB drive it would not recognize the true size of the slaved drive. I will post the outcome later once I receive and install the drive.

Happy New year to all.

I put in the 3TB system with no issues. It actually had a seperate slot to plug in on the motherboard. Swann came with @TB Western Digital HD and I was able to add the 3TB drive. Very simple process. Just Install and initialize. It was plug and play.