RB7

looking for a residential CCTV system, please advice!!!

hi guys

Recently someone broke into my house and stole 2 laptops, 3 mobiles and some cash. Police are trying to track the phones..

I already have CCTV but its very basic and I believe I need to upgrade... Here are my requirements..

1. Cameras should have motion sensor on them. Once they detect something , they start recording, send me an alert on my smartphone like a loud alarm. I should be able to watch live and see where they are going etc... Cameras should have night vision in them or when they detect something, they switch on built in light which makes it easier to see especially at night....

2. The house already has WiFi init, so the cameras should have WiFi in them or gsm facility by which they should send me an alert. I don't want to leave my phones WiFi on all the time at night....

3. Should be battery run or could be running on mains..

4. Main thing is night view ability as the house will be dark especially out door.... I could buy motion lights!

5. In case someone inside the house wakes up, they should be able to enter a password which would disable the system unless they reset it...

6 it should support multiple cameras and multiple users at the same time....

7. Should be easy to configure, install and to use..

8. Recordings should be viewable on smart phones...

Kindly let me know if something is out there which could fulfil my requirements??

hi guys

Recently someone broke into my house and stole 2 laptops, 3 mobiles and some cash. Police are trying to track the phones..

I already have CCTV but its very basic and I believe I need to upgrade... Here are my requirements..

1. Cameras should have motion sensor on them. Once they detect something , they start recording, send me an alert on my smartphone like a loud alarm. I should be able to watch live and see where they are going etc... Cameras should have night vision in them or when they detect something, they switch on built in light which makes it easier to see especially at night....

2. The house already has WiFi init, so the cameras should have WiFi in them or gsm facility by which they should send me an alert. I don't want to leave my phones WiFi on all the time at night....

3. Should be battery run or could be running on mains..

4. Main thing is night view ability as the house will be dark especially out door.... I could buy motion lights!

5. In case someone inside the house wakes up, they should be able to enter a password which would disable the system unless they reset it...

6 it should support multiple cameras and multiple users at the same time....

7. Should be easy to configure, install and to use..

8. Recordings should be viewable on smart phones...

Kindly let me know if something is out there which could fulfil my requirements??

1 - Recording on motion events is easy and every DVR does it. As far as sending an alarm to your phone, I'm not sure there is anything that does that. You can use a PC and software like BlueIris which can send you email alerts for motion events.

2 - I would not recommend WiFi unless you really cannot run cables to the cameras.

3 - Mains power is easy. Battery backup can be purchased (buy a UPS).

4 - Buy cameras with built-in IR LEDs. Bullet or eyeball type are typically better than dome cameras.

5 - Not sure what you mean here. You can configure most DVR alarms to your liking.

6 - Almost every DVR is capable.

7 - Buy a Dahua or Hikvision system.

8 - Again, almost every DVR is capable of this nowadays.

Alarm on motion is doable from most DVRs but I would definitely not recommend that unless you want to be awaken by deer, cat, etc.

1. Cameras with built in motion detectors are typically limited to indoor cameras. I like the Hikvision ds-2cd2432f-iw for this, has PIR motion sensor, is WiFi and has 1080P or 3MP resolution. For outdoors, it's hard. The only one I know of with built in motion detection are Mobotix cameras, like the D15 or M15. Most people rely on video motion detection done by the camera or DVR, NVR or software. Not very accurate, but more common. The only WiFi outdoor camera I can recommend is the Hikvision ds-2cd2532f-iws.

2. WiFi is awesome, just wish I can afford to have an electrician put an outlet by each camera, especially outdoors. What you will need is to setup a WiFi mesh network in your home, like from Ubiquiti to make sure you have perfect coverage at each camera. To stream 1080P video, you need a consistent reliable connection and a WiFi router that has a fast processor, not a cheap consumer grade router. It's so expensive and difficult to do WiFi properly, so I applaud you for this effort. Most of us have no clue so we rely on power over ethernet PoE to connect and power the cameras because anyone can run Ethernet to say an outdoor location, but having an AC outlet like next to your front door or under eaves, that takes skill.

3. I've seen battery operated cameras. They are used mostly for hunting. Look at the Bushnell Trophy HD. It can run on a set of batteries for a year, very cool. You don't need WiFi or an DVR, just wait for something to happen, take the SD card out and see what it captured.

4. Most cameras have IR LEDs to light up the area at night. Not a fan of motion detect lights because it takes a while for the camera to react to the light and all the frames before the light came on will be dark. It's best to have lights that come on at dusk and off and dawn

5. It's much easier than that, just unplug the DVR or NVR, then it can't record.

6 With an DVR, NVR or software, you can have many cameras, look at them together on one screen or by themselves.

7. If you want easy, hire someone to do it. Camera selection and placement is an art. Setting up cameras and DVRs or NVRs to record properly, alert you and do what you want takes time to learn the system and a lot of trial and error, not what I would call easy, but doable. What's easy to one is a nightmare to someone else. Adding WiFi makes it even harder as you have to configure the camera to Ethernet first to set the SSID for WiFi.

8. Most products have the ability to playback recorded video on a smartphone. I do it all the time with using Milestone XProtect software. Some cameras even have built in SD card storage and you can play back directly from the camera.