Sign in to follow this  
DLTV

Cold weather??

My camera I got is rated for -20 F but what really happens if it gets to cold? What part breaks? And is it broken permanently or will it work once I warm it up?

Your camera will have had a spec sheet. That would have told you the operating temperature range. This is a typical user GUIDE!

Whos to say what damage if any, a camera could suffer? DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WORRYING ABOUT IT UNTIL IT HAPPENS!

IF has a huge scope of possibilities, " If I were a girl I'd be my sister's sister"

If you were to not use the camera just in case what would be the point of having bought it?

On the other hand you could seek the services of a fortune teller...but don't ask for your money back if their information turns out to be inaccurate.

262527_1.jpg

I think he's asking specifically what can break when electronics get cold? I googled his question briefly. Something with moving parts can suffer cold damage, e.g. if bearing lubricants lose fluidity.

Most of the junk I find on google pertains to products with batteries, which is of no relevance to this matter.

Certainly many people have run cameras well below the stated minimum spec (I had one rated to 32 F minimum and it had no problems in single digit F), but yeah, what exactly happens to damage a camera when temps are, say, -30 F? What component actually dies? Do Capacitors care? Do CPUs (pretty sure no on that one!)? Do image sensors?

I have never, not once, seen a camera's electrical components become damaged because it was too cold. Having said that, I also don't know anyone who has willingly taken a camera rated for -20 and thrown it into a -60 environment.

What I have seen on occasion is that when some models of camera exceed that cold weather rating, their bodies will begin to contract and eventually crack the glass on the front. Obviously if the glass cracks, you don't really have much of an outdoor camera anymore.

I have never, not once, seen a camera's electrical components become damaged because it was too cold. Having said that, I also don't know anyone who has willingly taken a camera rated for -20 and thrown it into a -60 environment.

What I have seen on occasion is that when some models of camera exceed that cold weather rating, their bodies will begin to contract and eventually crack the glass on the front. Obviously if the glass cracks, you don't really have much of an outdoor camera anymore.

Well apart from that, which is quite an extreme example of what can happen. I think that unless we could examine every component its a no brainer, impossible to say. What are we production engineers/scientists?

In thise sort of extremes, a body cmera with a heting element would be the obvious choice and frankly were I to install one in those sort of extremes, I'd install a second extra heating element and increase the power supply's available current.

Again at thise sort of extremes you'd expect to pay two or three times the price for an extreme weather housing.

What I say is try what you have and worry about it when and if it happens.

In the world we live in there are more important things to concern ourselves with like the homeless, and in such temperatures, the old and infirm. Lets put our priorities in perspective........

My camera I got is rated for -20 F but what really happens if it gets to cold? What part breaks? And is it broken permanently or will it work once I warm it up?

If you worry about this, just replace these cameras into another one which have a heater in the camera.

The can protect the cameras.

And never worry about this.