fonix

Streming live vid P2P vs DDNS

Howdy all,

I Was hoping someone can clarify this for me.

When port forwarding using dynamic dns solutions we are lead/redirected directly to our source for streaming live video feed from our cams.

However when using P2P, is the feed being transmitted to the P2P server then to our mobile phone or pc? or is it also just a means of redirection and hence directly connected to our DVR?? If the stream is passing through some P2P server that would greatly diminish our stream the more users use the server.

Also is the icloud and P2P the same thing just different wording or what?

Sometimes i feel the ddns feed is much faster, but I want a confirmation or clarification from yall.

Thanks!

DDNS is faster when connecting.

P2P is used for opening the connection; so we can connect to a unit that does not have forwarded ports. You need a server in the middle to do so. Once the connection is established, the data is sent from the DVR to you, it does not go through the server.

Howdy all,

When port forwarding using dynamic dns solutions we are lead/redirected directly to our source for streaming live video feed from our cams.

However when using P2P, is the feed being transmitted to the P2P server then to our mobile phone or pc? or is it also just a means of redirection and hence directly connected to our DVR?? If the stream is passing through some P2P server that would greatly diminish our stream the more users use the server.

Sometimes i feel the ddns feed is much faster, but I want a confirmation or clarification from yall.

Thanks!

Obviously DDNS stream is better than the cloud/p2p as you are directly connected to your CAM/DVR in case of DDNS but quality of stream depends on the bandwidth you are having at the DVR side, in case of p2p/cloud it automatically optimizes stream according to your internet connection, but you will have to face latency this case.

Thanks for the replies guys. But now we have two contradicting answers which is why I posted this subject.

Maybe there is a difference between P2P and cloud? or maybe BOTH options are out there and it depends on the DVR manufacturer. one would be simply helping in opening a connection between our pc/mobile and the DVR. The other is that the stream goes through their server then forwarded to our pc/mobile.

Since I received two opposite answers Im guessing both technologies are available, but I feel servers forwarding a stream to be a ridiculous waste of internet bandwidth, but they probably would do that to spy and record our feeds.

Thanks for the replies guys. But now we have two contradicting answers which is why I posted this subject.

Maybe there is a difference between P2P and cloud? or maybe BOTH options are out there and it depends on the DVR manufacturer. one would be simply helping in opening a connection between our pc/mobile and the DVR. The other is that the stream goes through their server then forwarded to our pc/mobile.

Since I received two opposite answers Im guessing both technologies are available, but I feel servers forwarding a stream to be a ridiculous waste of internet bandwidth, but they probably would do that to spy and record our feeds.

A basic P2P server is for connecting, like DDNS. But, some companies go a step further and add a video transfer server to the P2P server which is necessary in some more complex networks that cant build the P2P connection directly. In the P2P/Video transfer server, the video is sent to the cloud first, then accessed by the phone/PC... giving a more stable feed. This does however require more bandwidth on the server side... every channel video bit rate is about 2Mb/s

Howdy all,

Thanks!

You are correct that the direct IP connection with DDNS/port forwarding is the best way to connect, but sometimes in more complex networks that is not always an option. P2P is basically the same thing as DDNS, it provides the connection... some manufacturers also include a file transfer server to the P2P server so that if the stream is not stable, you can simply go to the cloud server and access it there (it is also useful for saving/backup). If the server is in another country (like China) the stream will be effected... but if the server is here in the States, you will actually get better connection and stability. The greater number of users actually help make the stream MORE stable (it is Peer to Peer so you are building connection) but if it is going to China, you will suffer greater latency.