Sign in to follow this  
Numb-nuts

Is it theft?

A CCTV engineer installs a system in a client's property and accidentally leaves a 500m (440m remaining) roll of outdoor cable at the site. When the engineer returns to recover the cable the client denies all knowledge, but weeks later the client is seen to be auctioning the cable on ebay?

Whos property is it and does the client have the right to sell the cable (bear in mind a 500m roll of cat5 exteriror grade is about £180)

The client claims they paid for the cable as part of the installed system?

Your thougts and reactions appreciated...

Has a crime been committed?

A CCTV engineer installs a system in a client's property and accidentally leaves a 500m (440m remaining) roll of outdoor cable at the site. When the engineer returns to recover the cable the client denies all knowledge, but weeks later the client is seen to be auctioning the cable on ebay?

Whos property is it and does the client have the right to sell the cable (bear in mind a 500m roll of cat5 exteriror grade is about £180)

The client claims they paid for the cable as part of the installed system?

Your thougts and reactions appreciated...

Has a crime been committed?

Unless the installed specifically included a charge for 500m of cable for the install and only used 60m the cable belongs to the installer...it is no different than leaving your drill behind...the customer is a POS...What would I do? I would BUY the cable on ebay, then file a complaint saying the cable was not as described and send back a box of scraps with your business card in there...but thats just me.

No it wasn't me, but I have had my drill stolen in the same way a long time ago.

I try to make sure I never leave anything, I still do, but nothing like the value of a

500m roll of cable. It would never leave my van if it were mine I'd cut it to length and

over and under it

How I know about this is a long story and quite strange but its of no significance to the point under discussion.

If it were me I think I would buy and pay for it asking the seller to send a receipt with their name and address.

If I were wrong about the identity I would have bought a cheap roll of cable , if I were right, I'd then go directly to the police

client of not "and I wouldn't honor the warranty on their system either" After police had either cautioned or prosecuted the client I'd then sue them for my money back.

Unless he can show an invoice itemising 500m of cable then of course it's theft. If you bring 10 cameras but only require 4 for the job does he expect you to give him the other 6 when he is only paying for 4.

I am suitably vague when it comes to cable & connectors and itemise them as " cable & connectors as required" on the invoice. I used to list it as so many metres of cable until I had one numbnut ( sorry numbnuts) start arguing about the offcuts.

Unless he can show an invoice itemising 500m of cable then of course it's theft. If you bring 10 cameras but only require 4 for the job does he expect you to give him the other 6 when he is only paying for 4.

I am suitably vague when it comes to cable & connectors and itemise them as " cable & connectors as required" on the invoice. I used to list it as so many metres of cable until I had one numbnut ( sorry numbnuts) start arguing about the offcuts.

NO offense taken whatsoever. Yes this is one reason I NEVER PRICE Individual items on quotes, because clients would often start saying "oh I'll have that, not that, why is that so much when it's half that on ebay" and frankly I haven't got the time or patience to screw about with DAMNED WINDOW SHOPPERS and whenever a client has supplied their own materials or equipment 99% of the time the goods are of inferior quality and end up costing me extra time.

There's only one thing that spoils the CCTV business, and that's the clients.

(without them we'd all have a marvelous time but of course someone has to pay for our time, so we must tolerate the client.

262566_1.jpg

( I should add that I am incredibly lucky because I have some really nice clients many of whom are now my personal friends)

finally, getting back on thread

Yes I also believe it is theft. Just shows how sneaky and devious some people can be. I am sorry for the installer because competitor or not, I don't like to see anyone become a victim of crime which is one reason why I wanted to be in this business.

I always try to price out cable by the roll. If I have some leftover then great but if I run over a little or for some reason the customer wants it. I have all ready figured it into the price. I have priced out systems line by line and just a bottem line number and don't think it makes much difference. If the customer is a jerk they are going to try and beat you up on price at any rate. We had a potential customer that as a matter of how they did business was to always find something wrong and demand a discount. This was from shippers and raw material suppliers and service people. we ended up not doing anything for them.

I always try to price out cable by the roll. If I have some leftover then great but if I run over a little or for some reason the customer wants it. I have all ready figured it into the price. I have priced out systems line by line and just a bottem line number and don't think it makes much difference. If the customer is a jerk they are going to try and beat you up on price at any rate. We had a potential customer that as a matter of how they did business was to always find something wrong and demand a discount. This was from shippers and raw material suppliers and service people. we ended up not doing anything for them.

I still believe it belongs to the installer and they have the right to recover it.

Selling something that doesn't belong to you is theft and if I buy from you way cheaper than normal knowing it is not yours to sell then I would be guilty of receiving stolen property which is why I didn't bid on the item regardless how

tempting it was.

Man I'm in the security business I can't afford to be involved in any doubtful transaction

not to mention its the wrong thing to do.

Oh I am convinced it would be theft and so are ebay, they removed the item when it was re listed by the same seller.