Sign in to follow this  
oderus1671

really dumb question about nvr's

i feel kinda dumb asking this but have to. will having an nvr hooked up in my house affect my internet/network speeds? about 2 years ago our very rural neighborhood was "blessed" to finally get dsl thru the telco, so all the speed i can get is 1.5 meg down, 512k up. will an nvr on my home network slow me down? i have a small network, mostly wifi phones, laptops, and a printer. if going the nvr route, i would need remote access to it as well. thanks ya'll!

No. It would only affect your upload stream when someone is remote viewing..this would be the same for a DVR with remote viewing capability. If you connect the cameras directly to the NVR if it has poe, it wont even be on your network...even if you use a separate poe switch, the cameras will not saturate your network.

Just like Boogieman said, as long as you are not trying to access your cameras from outside your network you should be good. Even if you are trying to view your cameras locally, you will not have an issue because i bet your router is a min 100mb throughput locally and it will not affect you from getting on the web and using yout 1.5mb/s download. Man i would have a heart attack if i can only get 1.5mb/sec download and 512kb/sec upload in bandwidth to the outside world.