Sign in to follow this  
ryan2015

installing cctv system help

Hi im looking to put 2 camera's outside looking at drive away and shed. as it is not my house i have drawn a plan to show what im thinking on doing. any wrong doing or improvements please share.

262763_1.jpg

Will be using:

Junction box for cable connectors

pvc flexi loom for cable. Cable will run up the back of the water pipe at the back of house then into the attic where it will then come down in the top room where i have the dvr.

system is Floureon 8ch system. (Home system)

will this setup be ok?

262763_2.jpg

Hi. Have you bought the system ???

First the cable kits you get with box kits are not worth using from the start

I would use cat5 with baluns

Other is the cheap power supply

yes i have bought the system.

could the cables i have work this way tho?

im new to this and dont know wat cat5 with baluns is.

The difficulty with ready made cables are that by using them the holes you need to make to go through a wall, or soffit or a ceiling will all need to be about around 22mm. Some of those ready made cables are strong enough but a lot of them will be destroyed by pulling them through holes or conduit. If you use cat 5 and baluns you only need to make the holes as big as the bare cable 6mm and abot 12mm for a couple of cables. Choose a single pair for the video and split the other pairs into striped and solids and use those for the 12vdc and use screw on power connectors at the ends Female at the power supply end male at the camera end.

262777_1.jpg

Its a nice touch hiding the cables behind the rainwater-downpipe, you could just use PVC conduit which is significantly cheaper than corrugated conduit and easier to pass cables through. Go into your junction box at the bottom face rather than the top face as water might get in. You can bend PVC conduit using a kettle of water and either a bending spring inside it or fill the bend with sand before bending.

262777_2.jpg

Bending PVC conduit with a bending spring You may want to use you knee rather than strain your thumbs this way but the principle is the same. If you have a hair dryer that would help to soften the conduit before bending but don't let the Mrs catch you

One word about your route through the loft, you can do this it's quite valid but better to go through the wall direct into the room if possible at skirting height. Its very untidy coming into the room through the ceiling and making it appear tidy is not going to be too easy. I have a feeling you are going to make a nice tidy job, good luck.

You need to use pure copper,solid conductor Cat5e DON'T buy CCS or CCA has to be solid copper and you could do away with the conduit if you use outdoor rated cable Cat5e PE

Great write up and very helpful. Wil deffently look into the cat 5. Ill take a walk to the cctv store an see if they can show me how to make up the cables.

Never thought of putting the hole behind the skirting, thats something to look at aswel.

Thanks

I would go through the wall just above the skirting but if you have the time to remove the skirting and replace them after that again would make a neater job.

'My wiring convention' is striped conductors=pos + and solid colours =Neg - ground.

If you follow this convention for both DC Power and Video signal you won't get it wrong.

Don't buy cheap nasty baluns as some of them are real trash, you'll know by the price.

Think about the reduction in wiring and how much tidier it will be, thats a real bonus.

Take care when handling the cable, remember the cable has solid conductors so if one fractures

that the end of that conductor. With 'passive baluns', you can use a single pair for video upto

around 300m without any real degradation of signal.