slovey

Camera connection options - at the camera site

I am completing the installation of a CCTV System with 40 cameras (HD-CVI). It is in a mobile home park with aerial runs up to 250 meters (rg59 siamese direct burial). Most of the camera locations (27) have either one or two cameras. I am trying to decide how to make the camera connections (BNC and 18/2).

My plan has been to use some type of weatherproof/waterproof junction box to make the connections, but I haven't been able to find a box that has grommet holes or sealed popouts. I am hoping someone can point me in the direction of a suitable box, or a feasible way to modify some stock junction box. If the box had a connector strip for the power connections, that would be even better.

I am also interested in suggestions for how best to make the power connections from the unterminated cable to the power adapter plugs (wire nuts, screw-type terminations). Since some of the runs are fairly long, I am looking for connections that don't degrade the power.

Any photos of connections made at camera locations would be very helpful.

For larger boxes, you put on a layer of masking tape and mark up your own holes 3/4inch or 1 inch 20mm or 25mm and drill, insert Glands not grommets as grommets are for blanking holes and passing through panels.

Locate the box central to 4 or 8 cameras and cables go to the box. You can either joint your coax there or use balun to balun with cat5 back to the DVR and a local power supply inside the JB with a DC splitter 4 or 8 way .The box will need to be IP65 minimum preferrably IP67 rating and be placed where unauthorized persons cannot interfere with it. Silicone over the mounting holes you have to drill. These boxes are about £10 - £15 for decent quality IP rated boxes.

Here is one that already has grommets provided. I would NOT use this as the grommets harden and let in water later. The fewer holes in the box the better it's likely to stand upto adverse weather Wiska make excellent (but pricey) boxes.

This one is a nasty cheap Chinese import and won't stand upto the weather as the grommets will harden and fracture eventually

262981_1.jpg

and below a great IP rated junction box by Gewiss I use these regularly and insert glands instead of grommets

262981_2.jpg262981_3.jpg

Numb-nuts,

Thanks. Those are exactly what I was looking for - boxes and glands. Unfortuately, I can't find Gewiss in the States. The prices were very reasonable. I found similar junction boxes, but they were usually way over-priced.

If anyone can suggest a place to get good boxes like that for reasonable prices (in the US) I would appreciate it.

Ask local electrician's and competitors where they buy their supplies. Here in the UK we have what are termes eecrical wholesalers who have two prices, a retail price and a trade price usually about 20-25% less. We also have places like B & Q similar to your Home Depot.

Don't assume such places will be too expensive, sometimes it's the only option when you need the correct item quickly, better to do the job and earn a little less than to muddle through with unsuitable materials. I use a holesaw to cut my holes to 19mm and enlarge the holes with a conical step cutter as this gives a nice CLEAN edge to the resulting hole. The holesaw reduces the potential extra mess and is faster and more accurate to center the hole. I start with a 3mm pilot.

Typically I use 2 x inch glands and 1 x 3/4 inch gland. The smaller is for the local power cable and the larger are for upto four cat5e-pe exterior grade cables or whaterver cable you use from each camera. I also have a smallish JB at each camera to house the connectors and balun where used. Schneider also do great junction boxes and I remember those were available in the US when I was there.

The best location for these type of junctions is indoors under cover because who wants to work at a junction box when it's raining and when it becomes necessary to work at the box, better to be under cover if possible. Despite these boxes being weather resistant think ahead and keep it under cover even if only under the eaves of a property.

go to any electrical supply house or the big box stores the brand we use is Carlon. Just make sure you leave a drip loop and we always drill a small hole in the bottem of the box to let out any moisture that may get in over the years.

Not Indoors Luke, unless of course there is a sprinkler system LOL and you plan on having a crafty smoke.

Actually he's absolutely correct, even indoors, a drip loop looks very professional and outdoors its a the only way to guide stray water away from entering the box.

Shows the principle of a prip-loop

263045_1.jpg

All of the installs are outdoors far away from any buildings or overhangs - the cameras are to be used to monitor the streets of the property. The cameras are very spread out and there will be a box at every camera location with either one, two or three cameras sharing the box. I know the importance of a drip loop and I have allowed plenty of extra cable for the loops.

I have looked for the Gewiss-type boxes at local box stores (Home Depot and Lowes) and the local supply houses (Grainger, Graybar, etc) and online, and I haven't found anything for less than $40/box - most were WAY more than that. The Carlon boxes (E987R) are easily found for around $11 dollars locally, but that is a different style of box - it is screw down on all four corners instead of hinge open, it is a basic, empty box with no knockouts or pre-manufacturered contact bar mounting holes inside, and the seal seems to be more of a permanent, putty-type seal. I would prefer to use the Gewiss-style box, but it seems like I am going to have to go the Carlon (basic weatherproof junction box) route at this point.