Joeinamillion

I'm a newbie, more or less.

I'm new here, so Hi every one. I am here to learn about IP cameras, NVRs and the whole CCTV thing I guess. I'd say my interest is basically a hobby. Here's how my CCTV story goes...

Years ago my mother didn't like all the unknown people coming to her door (sales people, utility service guys, MIB etc). So I looked at CCTV systems. I knew nothing about them, but learned enough to decide to buy a system.

The system was a DVR, with 4 tiny cameras, by Q-See. It was perfect. Later I bought a second system to cover blind spots. Now there was no blind spots, a week of recording time, and my choice of blue or orange grass . New systems by Q-See had now come out, with more TVL (first two systems where 410TVL), and I bought one. Currently the system works with 6 cameras, 4 at 520TVL, and 2 at 600TVL, and correct colours.

Now I'm looking for something a bit better. The Q-See units I have are old, and failing, and Q-See products seem to be something I've out grown. For me, this is a hobby, so I could take my time thinking about this unit or that set up etc. However, for my Mother, it's something she now relies on, and sometimes likes to watch it if nothing is on TV . So, when the CCTV goes down, I get called to fix it, and that means quickly. The system now fails about every 60 days, I suspect the hard drive controller is the reason (It's not the hard drives, they've been replaced, same with the power supply). To get it working I have to unplug everything, take out the hard drives, format with using a PC, put them back in the DVR, format them with the DVR, and hook everything back up.

So now I'm thinking why not go NVR, and IP Cameras at 1080p. I'd like also to maybe even build a PC as a NVR, that way I know what's inside, and how to upgrade it. On that side I guess software would be my challenge.

I hope this board will help me learn.