Sign in to follow this  
ch5112

Need advise on installing 15 CCTVs using NVR system

Hi all!

I really need few advises on how to install 15CCTVs for my home.

I finalised product for cameras: Hikvision 3MP IR Vandalproof Security Network Cctv POE IP Camera DS-2CD3132-I

With NVR, I am still considering which one to go with.

Should i go with NVR 16ch 8POE from hikvision? I'm looking into putting in 2*4TB HDD so I can have enough storage for 15 cameras.

Can you please help me with following questions?

- It only has 8POE, then how can I connect 15 cameras to NVR?

- Should I buy another router to do all this so I can fit 16 cables?

- Or can it be done wireless without slowing my internet speed down?

I really need help on this !!!!

For your other cams, you'd need an 8 port POE switch to power them. This switch would need to be connected to the NVR so it can access the extra cams, so would need a 9th uplink port if you wanted to run 8 cams from it. Without the uplink port, you could only run 7 cams on it. One possible benefit of this is that you could locate it close to where that group of 8 cams is and run shorter cables from the switch to the cams, with a single cable going back to the NVR, but it depends on your layout.

Other options are passive POE injectors like this, which go between your non-powered ports and the cams. This is more cluttered, as you'd need 8 more cables from the NVR to the injector, but is less expensive than an 8 POE port switch:

http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-48v60w-passive-Ethernet-Injector-cameras/dp/B0086SQDMM

Wireless will be a problem with that many cams, and is not as reliable as wired. Since you need power to the cams anyway, best bet is to go all POE for reliable performance.

For your other cams, you'd need an 8 port POE switch to power them. This switch would need to be connected to the NVR so it can access the extra cams, so would need a 9th uplink port if you wanted to run 8 cams from it. Without the uplink port, you could only run 7 cams on it. One possible benefit of this is that you could locate it close to where that group of 8 cams is and run shorter cables from the switch to the cams, with a single cable going back to the NVR, but it depends on your layout.

Other options are passive POE injectors like this, which go between your non-powered ports and the cams. This is more cluttered, as you'd need 8 more cables from the NVR to the injector, but is less expensive than an 8 POE port switch:

http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-48v60w-passive-Ethernet-Injector-cameras/dp/B0086SQDMM

Wireless will be a problem with that many cams, and is not as reliable as wired. Since you need power to the cams anyway, best bet is to go all POE for reliable performance.

That's the first 8 port PoE injector I've ever seen, so thanks for that. Have you used this or one like it before?

Note that the 3132 is a 2 axis dome...you will not be able to wall mount it without bulky mounts...if you will be wall mounting consider the 2332/3223 turret..

That's the first 8 port PoE injector I've ever seen, so thanks for that. Have you used this or one like it before?

I've never used one. I don't believe it does hand-shaking, so the 48Vdc is always on. That's not usually a problem, but could be if you get a short somewhere.

This particular model is 8 port, 60W, so 7.5W/port average if all are used. You'll want to check the power rating of the models you want to make sure it'll support them. I don't like running gear like this at its maximum rating due to the risk of Chinese power supply failure, and would consider getting a higher power supply if I wanted to run near 60W.