Sign in to follow this  
flaudia402

Go with (2) NVR's or (2) Port switches?

So, to explain the layout. The home is already pre-wired for Cat5. Everything runs into a mechanical room on the second story. All of the rooms, including garages, patio, outside summer kitchen/pool area, etc. has ethernet runs to it.

I'd like to add some additional camera's around the outside perimeter of the home. There are two garages on each side of the house, with their ethernet ports.

Is it possible for me to run say 4 cameras from one garage, into a POE+ port switch.

Then 4 cameras from the other garage into a POE+ port switch.

Plug both of these port switches into the ethernet ports in each garage.

Then in the mechanical room, take the corresponding outlet associated with those ethernet ports in each garage, run a patch cable into the back of the 8 Channel Dahua NVR?

Of course, there would only be two cables going into the back of the NVR, not 8 from all the cameras. Would this still work though?

I'd go with a poe-switch in each garage and run their outputs back. In the wiring closet 'd put a small switch - use one port for each garage, one port to my lan, one port to my nvr lan connection. If you use the nvr poe internal switch you'll have to manage the cameras using the nvr since they will be on the internal 10.x.x.x lan which is isolated from the normal nvr lan connection (192.168.x.x)