tommytuna

Looking for proven combo Outdoor CAM w/ External PIR sensor

Hi All - I just need a basic outdoor IP camera to monitor the back porch of my cottage where we've had two breakins in the last two years. My challenge is that there will nodoubt be tons of false positives unless I use a proper PIR Motion sensor or some other reliable trigger.

I've seen cameras like Foscam which have the ability to wire up to an external alarm. I have no idea how to go about this or how the wiring would work. Documentation is next to NIL and there seem to be no videos/threads with step by step. Anybody do this successfully? If so, care to share details?

It would be ideal if the PIR was POE powered as I will have trouble getting any other sort of power to this location. Many thanks!

OR am I better to just get an indoor cam with PIR built in and wait for them to break in or come close to the window.

Install an active waterproof infrared sensor, put it 80CM height hidden if possible. I think it's better to install a real alarm system (with door sensors at each door or window) instead of focusing on the motion detection of the camera. Well a camera system can have a deterrent effect.

Well the downside of having an alarm system is that it's too late when the alarm has been triggered, well in case that you don't have some sensors outside, since the burglar managed to get inside your home. By having a active infrared sensor between some walls (to access the door) or at the entrance of the garden or halfway you can be alerted earlier so the damage is minimized, however the risk of a false positive is a bit higher (bird, cat, animals, childrens).

Install an active waterproof infrared sensor, put it 80CM height hidden if possible. I think it's better to install a real alarm system (with door sensors at each door or window) instead of focusing on the motion detection of the camera. Well a camera system can have a deterrent effect.

Well the downside of having an alarm system is that it's too late when the alarm has been triggered, well in case that you don't have some sensors outside, since the burglar managed to get inside your home. By having a active infrared sensor between some walls (to access the door) or at the entrance of the garden or halfway you can be alerted earlier so the damage is minimized, however the risk of a false positive is a bit higher (bird, cat, animals, childrens).

Do you know of a particular sensor that would work in this case and trigger the camera to start recording? i'd be happy with a PIR but again have no idea how to wire it to the camera.

Other thing I was thinking was using Smartthings Hub or Vera Hub (as I have fulltime internet) to detect the alarms from PIR and window sensors and then ask the camera to start recording everything.

Hi. Most cameras (I would give Foscam a miss) have alarm detection and set and unset.

If you wanted to make it easy and not break the bank you could use a cam with alarm and use door contacter or shock sensor on all doors windows on and around your home even gates.

image.thumb.jpg.31829cb32e6f39f29b6fd00243aa2d4e.jpg

image.jpg.05368706e1d4002a82e6f469a84eec1d.jpg

Get a Mobotix D15 or M15, they have built-in PIR motion detection, two way audio with mic and speaker built in. Nothing to do other than install and configure it. Can record to NAS or SD card.

Get a Mobotix D15 or M15, they have built-in PIR motion detection, two way audio with mic and speaker built in. Nothing to do other than install and configure it. Can record to NAS or SD card.

Looked interesting until I noticed the $1500 price tag:) I guess you get what you pay for.

I noticed the $299 DLINK outdoor cube cam has a separate PIR. Was thinking that might do the trick for now. I was also looking at Vera home automation and using that to trigger recording based on an open door sensor and external motion detector.

So many options which makes it a bit of overwhelming.

[

Looked interesting until I noticed the $1500 price tag:) I guess you get what you pay for.

So many options which makes it a bit of overwhelming.

I never said you get what you pay for, actually the opposite is true as I pulled these cameras off a project and replaced with $300 camera because they were way better. It's just that these cameras have what you want, but don't pay over $150 for them or you'll be disappointed, LOL.

DLink from my experience have also not been worth the money.

What does the camera have to do with Vera. I use mine to set the thermostat, control lights, set door lock codes. The least of which I use my Vera for is viewing cameras, but I can.

Vera could alert the IP camera to record if an alarm condition is satisfied (i.e. window sensor and indoor motion sensor tripped). No need to figure out wiring etc - just get Zwave motion detector and pair everything up.

I guess i'm back to square one and original intent behind my note. How can I get a PIR wired into a cheap bullet cam such as Foscam that has the harness for an external cam? I'd rather spend $$ on a good motion detector such as http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=1347 which will minimize false alarams and hook it into a cheaper cam. Anybody done this or is there a DIY guide somewhere? I don't want to spend $1500 on a camera as i'm assuming the culprits will try to damage/take the camera (monitoring a cottage on an island).

Vera could alert the IP camera to record if an alarm condition is satisfied (i.e. window sensor and indoor motion sensor tripped). No need to figure out wiring etc - just get Zwave motion detector and pair everything up.

I guess i'm back to square one and original intent behind my note. How can I get a PIR wired into a cheap bullet cam such as Foscam that has the harness for an external cam? I'd rather spend $$ on a good motion detector such as http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=1347 which will minimize false alarams and hook it into a cheaper cam. Anybody done this or is there a DIY guide somewhere? I don't want to spend $1500 on a camera as i'm assuming the culprits will try to damage/take the camera (monitoring a cottage on an island).

Forget about foscam...whats the point of triggering a crappy camera?

there are lots of other bullet/dome cameras by hikvision dahua for the same price as the foscam with alarm in/out. Just make sure to get a model with alarm inputs (not all have them)

Forget about foscam...whats the point of triggering a crappy camera?

there are lots of other bullet/dome cameras by hikvision dahua for the same price as the foscam with alarm in/out. Just make sure to get a model with alarm inputs (not all have them)

Yes I like the Hikvision as well. Just need help with how to wire this up to the alarm in feed. I maybe in a bit over my head in terms of the electrical to do this.