slovey

Power Supply Light Indicator

I have an 18 channel power supply box installed and each channel has a camera wired to it. All channels have an led light in the box next to the terminals and that light is on on all but one channel. On the channel with the light out, I have no image on the monitor. If I disconnect the camera power cable from that terminal, or connect a different camera to that terminal, the light comes back on - it is only off when the power cable from that specific camera is connected to any terminal.

Does the light out on a power supply box with a camera wired to it mean the the circuit is not being completed? Or, more broadly, what are the possible indications for the light to be off?

The light off means NO power is being supplied to that output. This will be due to a current overload triggering the electronic fuse (PTC). Disconnect the camera on that feed but leave the cable connected to the power output at the power supply. If the light still goes out then you have a short on the cable to the camera. If it doesn't go out then you have a fault in the camera itself

The light off means NO power is being supplied to that output. This will be due to a current overload triggering the electronic fuse (PTC). Disconnect the camera on that feed but leave the cable connected to the power output at the power supply. If the light still goes out then you have a short on the cable to the camera. If it doesn't go out then you have a fault in the camera itself

Thanks for the help. I already tried swapping out the camera with one I know works and I replaced all the connectors (which didn't solve the problem), so it must be a short in the cable itself. The current cable is rg59 siamese direct burial (18/2 for power) and for there to be a short in the cable would mean that the cable came faulty from the manufacturer, which seems hard to believe, but possible.

The cable run is 125 meters and I assume the only solution is to run another power cable just for that camera all the way back to the power supply (there isn't any power source closer).

Thanks for the help. I already tried swapping out the camera with one I know works and I replaced all the connectors (which didn't solve the problem), so it must be a short in the cable itself. The current cable is rg59 siamese direct burial (18/2 for power) and for there to be a short in the cable would mean that the cable came faulty from the manufacturer, which seems hard to believe, but possible.

The cable run is 125 meters and I assume the only solution is to run another power cable just for that camera all the way back to the power supply (there isn't any power source closer).

I once had a 500m box of 6 core security cable that was in two lengths joined with sticky tape at the 350m point. If my off-sider hadn't seen it as it was being pulled out it would've caused all sorts of problems.