Sign in to follow this  
kentuckynet

700' cable run

hello, im currenlty running 4 analog cctv cameras . My question is i have used a couple of different grade/cost/quality, cat5 and cat6 direct burial wires running through conduit for extra protection. it seems the cat 6 doesnt seem to give me as good of a picture as did the cat5 its a 700' run! Any ideas if one cable truly is better running this long of transmission? im aware of the products made by nvt and even use the transmitter and receiver to do this same setup but its 3500' feet long(with a better picture than my 700'run). The 700' im currently doing is what im asking about.....which wire carries best(or least loss) on the longest run without additional help....thanks

ps...many reasons as to why i have tried different cables from a ground hog to a lawn mower....before switching to conduit and burying it.

All things being equal the cat6 will give the better result simply because of its lower attenuation. If you find this is not the case then I would suspect the cat5 is copper & the cat6 is CCS or aluminium.

As to analog cameras, 700 feet seems not a big deal. FYI, we designed video decoder that converts analog TV signal into digital video data feeding into the back end compression CoDec. In our lab, we tested the long distance performance for the front end video decoders. Techwell's TW2866 can capture the video data without problem at such a distance over rg59. But other video decoders (like nextchip) did fail out. So chances could be 50 and 50, depending on DVR. So you buy a DVR and put it under test before you bury the cable.

cat 6 is also copper,.........

we designed video decoder that converts analog TV signal into digital video data feeding into the back end compression CoDec......(is this something i should try?)

are there any other ideas to make my system work better short of throwing it all away?

we designed video decoder that converts analog TV signal into digital video data feeding into the back end compression CoDec......(is this something i should try?)

Video decoder sits inside the DVR box. And you can not build your own.

The DVR carrying TW2866 should be OK upto 700 feet over a rg59, solid copper cable. Their market share is around 50%. So the chances are 50% that you can hit into a good DVR box. FYI, our video decoder can receive signals over 1500 feet-cable length. But we do not have any dvr products, yet to be introduced in the market. Someday soon, we will promote ours built with our own video decoders and back end compression codec.