LabTechphys

Newbie Looking for High FPS RJ45 network cameras

Greetings!

I'm a lab tech for physics department that does motion capture of objects falling and accelerating. We have some old firewire cameras that are falling out of use and compatibility, and we are looking to replace them. Searching for cameras with live streaming and recordings with high frame rates, it seems that my only options are network cameras or really expensive cameras for industrial processes. So, I was wondering if anyone on here could point me in the direction of an IP camera that could be used with both mac and pc computers that supports frame rates over 60fps.

Regards

A commercial IP camera with frame rate over 60fps will be difficult to find.

The Axis Q1615 is rated at 60fps.

Shutter time = 1/143,000 to 2 sec

http://www.axis.com/files/datasheet/ds_q16_59000_en_1502_lo.pdf

myiicu, Thank you for the reply. These seem like very nice cameras, however I dont feel they fit our needs properly. They are certainly out of our price range, and include many specs we dont need such as movement controls, size, robust housing and more. I suppose what I was hoping to track down was something more webcam size that is suitable for light indoor use, can be connected to a computer via Ethernet cable, and has either enough sensitivity or a high enough frame rate to capture objects with minimal blur or drag as they are accelerated in a variety of means. We are trying to capture motion, essentially, in physics classrooms.

Regards

Greetings!

I'm a lab tech for physics department that does motion capture of objects falling and accelerating. We have some old firewire cameras that are falling out of use and compatibility, and we are looking to replace them. Searching for cameras with live streaming and recordings with high frame rates, it seems that my only options are network cameras or really expensive cameras for industrial processes. So, I was wondering if anyone on here could point me in the direction of an IP camera that could be used with both mac and pc computers that supports frame rates over 60fps.

Regards

Try a Google search for machine vision cameras.

You will find a number a types of cameras there with frames rates up to and beyond 500fps

Will not be cheap though

Ilkie

Greetings!

Regards

Try a Google search for machine vision cameras.

You will find a number a types of cameras there with frames rates up to and beyond 500fps

Will not be cheap though

Ilkie

Thanks Ilkie. I'll do some shopping around with those key words. Someone else suggested I look for cameras with "sports" settings and "slow motion" options.

Regards

I am a lurker here but wanted to offer this angle.

My day job is live webcasting. We use very expensive cameras and such. I am just getting into security cameras so don't know much here. I can offer this angle for what you're trying.

If you want to use an application such as Telestream Wirecast. We use this extensively.

You can capture and stream (you did say "stream") from any firewire or even USB camera or device just about. Full frame rate. I've seen use of Canon DSLR and the like with WIrecast.

Its more of a webcasting solution but it also records to disk. It's not entirely inexpensive but its robust. In fact it would work for home security remote viewing in a sense now that I think of it..

You can encode in a number of formats.

My 2 Cents.

HTH

James

I am a lurker here but wanted to offer this angle.

My day job is live webcasting. We use very expensive cameras and such. I am just getting into security cameras so don't know much here. I can offer this angle for what you're trying.

If you want to use an application such as Telestream Wirecast. We use this extensively.

You can capture and stream (you did say "stream") from any firewire or even USB camera or device just about. Full frame rate. I've seen use of Canon DSLR and the like with WIrecast.

Its more of a webcasting solution but it also records to disk. It's not entirely inexpensive but its robust. In fact it would work for home security remote viewing in a sense now that I think of it..

You can encode in a number of formats.

My 2 Cents.

HTH

James

Thanks James,

I'll look into it further.

Recently I've been looking at some on-board camera modules that sparkfun have available on their website. I see that some of their camera specs offer higher frame rates at a loss of resolution, which is ok for our application. I just ordered a few different types to try them out. the place is a hobbyist electronics site, and as such, require a fair amount of setup do not include housings or external optics options. None-the less, we'll see if they will fulfill our needs. They are certainly far cheaper than the machine vision camera systems I was looking at last week. The cheapest quote I got on a class set (10x camera systems) was just north of 10k, and that did not include the new computers we would have to buy to support the video capture cards.

It seems kinda frustrating that we fall in a strange area where we certainly dont need the high frame rate and quality of machine vision cameras, while the only other real alternatives are low quality web camera systems mostly maxing out at 30fps. Essentially we need cameras with a frame rate between 80fps and 200fps, and funny enough we found out that newer Iphone cameras are capable of over 150fps with a "slow-motion" mode. This would solve our problem right out if students all had their own, but not only do we not rest in an area gifted with an abundance of wealth, it would be unfair to expect students to have a 600$ item for lab to run. We have tried to replicate results with android phones to no avail.

If I was more electronics savvy, I'd purchase the raw camera modules and wire them up to raspi or something. Oh well, the hunt continues.

I dont know your budgets but I think you are really limiting yourself if you are looking for only IP cameras. I'd take it from a different angle and look at camcorders/prosumer HD (4k even) cameras. You get a LOT more functionality..

There are cameras like the Panasonic V750 or it's competitors..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023343-REG/panasonic_hc_v750_full_hd_camcorder.html

That will shoot 120fps.

Get a little Black Magic encoder like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892453-REG/Blackmagic_Design_bdlkulsdzminrec_Ultrastudio_Mini_Recorder.html

a Macbook Pro and Wirecast free version that they license to youtube and you can give it a shot.

This video here is pretty much how we setup with some differences but it's a simple way to try this.

You can capture to disk and/or stream.

WIrecast has a full version trial that watermarks with audio and video watermarks but it is fully functional forever

We had GE in our video studio a couple years ago and they set up a circle of 28 or so Canon Dslrs shooting at 60fps which at the time was the best a DSLR would do. They shot this after posting it in Final Cut.

http://www.ge.com/thegeshow/solar/index.html#ch1

Let me know if you want some people to talk to that sell video gear, guys we deal with. Dont' worry , we don't overpay for anything here...We are frugal.