MarcM

Overwhelmed By Hikvision Choices

Hi,

I need to very quickly put together a system to protect an empty property.

I've decided on Hikvision domes and Milestone Xprotect Essentials VMS. However, I am quite overwhelmed by the different Hikvision models out there!

I will be buying from on eBay in UK, possibly getting Chinese models (with English firmware preloaded). I'm not too fussed about IR, as will use either external IR's or security lighting.

Requirements:

- External dome cameras

- Internal dome cameras - two room sizes - room 1 = 4 metres x 12 metres. Room 2 = 4 metres x 8 metres.

Any recommendations?

Hi. ...... Chinese with english firmware is going to be a problem right from the start. Other is buying from ebay ..... Both give you no warranty.

Then you have milestone ..... So pc needed ...... In an empty property

I would look at dahua if in the UK

Mini NVR and there domes ........ And cheaper than buying from China

Thanks for the reply.

Hi. ...... Chinese with english firmware is going to be a problem right from the start. Other is buying from ebay ..... Both give you no warranty.

Not too fussed about warranty - I figured with the price difference for the 10-12 cameras we're going to need, I'll just order a few extra and keep them as a buffer stock.

Then you have milestone ..... So pc needed ...... In an empty property

We have a couple of cheap Dell i3 and i5 PC's knocking around, so happy to take a chance on this. I also intent to record a stream over FTTC broadband for added security. I live close by the building, so I'm really interested in in motion detection if we get intruders / squatters, so that we can quickly investigate.

Thanks for the tip on Dahua - so you rate these ahead of the Chinese Hik's?

Chinese COPY OF the hik then yes I would go dahua

You only have to type Chinese hik in search bar of this forum to see the problems.

10 to 12 cameras with no warranty .......... This is the part I don't understand why people say it.

Your buying cheap to save money ...... But then not protecting your investment.

Also have you looked at licence costs ....... ... For empty property I would look at a NVR . Much easier to hide than a pc plus no licence fee

I get your point. I thought they were genuine Hik, but just local market versions. If they are fakes, I'll probably stay away. Going for full priced Hik's is not an option, so will investigate Dahua (just need to find a reputable dealer).

May go with an NVR temporarily, but the building will only be empty for a month or two whilst it is being renovated. After that, we will need to go Milestone, as the CCTV will be integrated with access control (Paxton) and some other systems. NVR won't be an option then.

Depending on how close you are to the building and any line of sight options, a point-to-point wireless solution using something in the unlicensed spectrum an option?

If you do put a PC in the property, put it in the most hard to get, hard to find, and impossible to remove location. Any thief breaking in will happily steal an easily accessible computer...which defeats the purpose of doing all of this in the first place....

Hi,

regarding the point to point solutions, Ubiquiti is a very cheap good solution who works perfectly:

You can reach up to 15km if necessary for around $60/80 unit.

I used that between 2 houses 3km distance (straight with some trees in the middle), so in this case 2.5 Ghz (loco M2) is the best choice than 5 Ghz, but that's fine:

Ubiquiti : Airmax Nano station M series.

150 Mbps (real throughput), so for 10 cams 4mbps = 40 Mbps, that's fine enough and no needs to have NVR locally.

I use 4 HIK 3MP/4096 Kbps and this is great, no issues or skips at all)

You can manage the bandwith, monitor, finetune the settings, this is really a top product (made in USA), and available via Amazon.

So no risks: you can try during 30 days and if it's not OK, refund money...

and as you create a secure ethernet connexion, then you can also add some addons for security (intrusion détection, lights switch and so on).

Thanks for your replies Brian and Riri, I'll have a look into using wireless - could be a good alternative.