Sign in to follow this  
SGH

Help: Can I Replace PC Based System with DVR?

OK need some help from the experts as I am a noob here. I have a 16 camera survelance system at my business. It was purchased 8-1/2 years ago and is what I think you would refer to as a PC based system. The cameras are 480-550TVL resolution, so not very good compared to today's 1080p sytems. I plan to go HD sometime in the future, but for right now, I need to get my system back up and running.

The PC failed as it won't boot up any longer. Could be motherboard, power supply, or just toast. I don't want to throw good money after bad to have it diagnosed and fixed because that will cost a lot from the guys who installed the system. And not ready to go HD yet due to cost.

I was recently visiting a colleague in the industry and he has a QSEE 16 channel system with 1080p cameras. So I started searching for used QSEE DVR's and have found some that would inexpensively fit the bill to get me back up and running. Is this something that I can easily "plug and play" in my system? I am all set with existing monitor and camera cables, so it appears that I can just plug those into a used DVR and go, right? Anything I need to be aware of that won't be compatible?

I also suspect that most of the DVR's, if not all, will handle the low res of my cameras, right? When my current PC was running (Windows XP), it would record for two weeks and was set up for motion recording only. Can you experts point me in the right direction so I don't buy a used DVR that ends up not working?

You just need a standard analog standalone DVR. There's no compatibility issues to worry about there. If you want something you can use in the future with HD cameras, look into Hybrid and/or Tribrid DVRs.

Thank you for the tip. So it appears that I can just install an older version of a QSEE for example and I am good to go. That's awesome. I'll give it a go.

Just out of curiosity, I see used systems with H264 D1 recording resolution. I assume that this will be just fine for those 480-550TVL cameras? Any other suggestions?

Also, will a 500gig drive store up to 2 weeks of motion sensed recording time? I can't remember what my old system had, but at 8-1/2 years old, it can't be much more than that.

Just out of curiosity, I see used systems with H264 D1 recording resolution. I assume that this will be just fine for those 480-550TVL cameras? Any other suggestions?

Also, will a 500gig drive store up to 2 weeks of motion sensed recording time? I can't remember what my old system had, but at 8-1/2 years old, it can't be much more than that.

First ensure that your cameras do not have a proprietary connection and are utilizing the typical BNC connectors (assuming you haven't already checked for this). I forgot to mention this last time.

Assuming they're BNC, the compression rate (H.264) and max recording resolution (D1) is perfect for what you have. Just make sure the cameras and DVR are using the same type of connection (like BNC).

I really can't tell you how long a 500GB HDD will last you without knowing the bitrate and frame rate the cameras are recording at. Even if I have that, it will still be a crap shoot trying to determine since I have no idea how often you're cameras actually encounter motion. based on personal experience, I would suggest stepping that up to a 1 or 2 TB HDD unless your cameras just don't do a whole lot of recording.

If you are recording on motion detection it's impossible to tell. If you are recording continuously, it is easier to calculate you should note the bit rate set for each camera before finding an online calculator.

Any recommendations on a DVR for this camera setup? I see Lorex, Swann, QSEE a lot and a colleague seems satisfied with his QSEE recorder. I would like to stay on a budget, say $200 +/-, as I expect to upgrade to 1080p in the near future. Just want to plug in a DVR and get back up and running.

Thanks for the recco.

I found this hybrid system on Amazon that should work with my analog cameras and allows the transition to 1080p as budget permits.

Hikvision 16ch HVR Hybrid ONVIF IP 1080p 960p 720p, 4CH Audio, Alarm 4 input, iPhone Android APP.

Do you think this is a good choice and will work with my system while providing the ability to upgrade to 1080p as budget allows? To answer an earlier question, my connections are standard BNC. thanks.

If he's using a QSee and is satisfied with it, it's probably a Dahua DVR. If you want something that's going to work, you're not going to do much better than Dahua when it comes to standalone DVRs. You may have to stretch your budget a little bit though if it's for 16 cameras.