Petess

Wireless cameras security system

I've been researching a home security system. There is a lot to consider, so I would like some suggestions from experienced members.

System requirements:

Indoor, wireless cameras (2-4 cameras, at least 720p 1080p preferable, night vision), ability to monitor remotely from android phone, dvr, sound recording and speaker would be good but not a deal breaker, movement and sound detection desirable too.

I really want wireless from ease of setup and reconfiguration, unless it is not reasonably secure. I've read mixed evaluations, thus unsure with my very limited knowledge on this subject.

Haven't found too many consumer friendly complete wireless camera systems, vast majority are wired.

Hi

I am new here so my suggestions are right. I don't think it is difficult to find user-friendly wireless cameras. I suppose you're looking for IP-based network cameras? Many people here discussed a lot about HikVision, Dahua, etc. You can find a lot of wireless cameras on Amazon. My partner is buying and testing some models from Taiwan, such as Appro LC-6760 cube and LC-6790 pan/tilt. So far, they've been more than okay. If you're interested, I can share more info with you.

I'm leaning towards this model, HikVision DS-2CD2432F-IW. I am just unsure how easy it will be to set up to perform the functions I need and all the equipment I may need. I clearly need to do more research.

Will take a look at the two models suggested.

Regarding wireless security, from the specifications listed for the camera I mentioned above, it can use 64/128-bit WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, WPS, which is what I use for my home wifi router. Are these cameras more vulnerable to hacking than a good password protected home wifi router?

I realize wired is more secure, but if I'm going to be using it to monitor via phone or other device away from home, I assume this remote access is going to be the weakest link, right?

I'm leaning towards this model, HikVision DS-2CD2432F-IW. I am just unsure how easy it will be to set up to perform the functions I need and all the equipment I may need. I clearly need to do more research.

Regarding wireless security, from the specifications listed for the camera I mentioned above, it can use 64/128-bit WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, WPS, which is what I use for my home wifi router. Are these cameras more vulnerable to hacking than a good password protected home wifi router?

I realize wired is more secure, but if I'm going to be using it to monitor via phone or other device away from home, I assume this remote access is going to be the weakest link, right?

Stick with the hikvision, ignore recommendations for no name camera brands....

Wifi is not as reliable as wired, particularly if you plan on running many of them...

The risk of "hacking" is not so much with respect to the wifi, but if you dont properly secure the cameras when you setup remote access..

Remember that no camera is wireless...you always have to power it...try to run cable to as many cameras as possible...remember that the 2432 is only an indoor camera....it does have a nice PIR motion sensor that is useful..

You can use powerline adapters instead of wifi...if your home wiring supports a good connection you will be better off..

hikvision does make wifi external cams like the DS-2CD2132F-IWS

Stick with the hikvision, ignore recommendations for no name camera brands....

Wifi is not as reliable as wired, particularly if you plan on running many of them...

The risk of "hacking" is not so much with respect to the wifi, but if you dont properly secure the cameras when you setup remote access..

Remember that no camera is wireless...you always have to power it...try to run cable to as many cameras as possible...remember that the 2432 is only an indoor camera....it does have a nice PIR motion sensor that is useful..

You can use powerline adapters instead of wifi...if your home wiring supports a good connection you will be better off..

hikvision does make wifi external cams like the DS-2CD2132F-IWS

There are truly "wireless" cameras in the market. They can be battery-powered. Just google "battery cam", and you will find some. I believe you will see more in the near future.

I used to not like wireless just because wired is always better.

Then I discovered this:

[edited: link removed to known spammer site]

How's that for knocking out your security? Jams ALL signals to the cameras and on your wireless Internet--no cameras, no recordings, nothing!

Wired is the only way to go if you're serious about the security. If a group of thieves invested in one of these it could pay for itself with the very first theft job.